Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a good speaker level amp switcher?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 29, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I bet a lot of you have seen that nifty little device that ampeg dealers have in their stores that switches between 8 amps and 8 speakers. It has the ampeg name on it.

Essentially you move one knob to select the amp you want to recieve the speaker level output from and the other knob selects what speaker you want that speaker level output to drive.

My guitar player wants to bring 2 or 3 different heads but use the same cabinet.

Do any of you know if there is a company that makes a good/transparent amp switcher that is designed for speaker level signals besides the one for ampeg dealers?

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. Once I saw the ampeg one you speak of on ebay a while back, but they are not for sale to the public..

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    we have 2 at work, but they aren't for sale

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, I just thought, get a nice big double pole, single throw switch that can handle quite a bit of juice. Something designed for AC circuits. Then build a box with a couple of inputs, and one output with a switch between them. You will not want to do any switching with the amps on, AT ALL. You could cause some fun fierworks that way. If you aren't sure how to wire this, get someone to build it for him, like me. I could do it for a bit of a charge. But tell me what you think.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bump bump thump

ok so the ampeg unit isnt for sale to the public..........why? how much do they cost?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    it is only for dealers to use for testing multiple amps with multiple cabinets. It really helps with demo-ing products. So, like I said, ask you guitar player if he wants one built for him. Won't be fancy, but it'd work great.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    dude, have you checked the prices on those things? he could just buy another cab for those kind of prices.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I would just build one. You can get a suitable DPDT switch at Radio Shack, even. Build it into a sturdy metal chassis. Don't use 1/4" connectors unless they're the kind that are insulated from the chassis.

This will work if both amp outputs are solid state.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you're talking about siwtching between amps and cabs WHILE THE AMP IS ON you need a heck of a lot more than simple DPDT switch if you expect the amp to survive for long.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No you won't, as long as they are solid state and the DPDT switch is a break-before-make type, as most are.

13. If you're running tube amps into one of these "switchers", the amps not connected to the cab better have the appropriate resistive load on them somehow or your you're gonna lunch a bunch of amps in a hurry.