is there a good synth I can plug a bass into?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Dec 15, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I'm looking for a synth with a little more granular control of envelope and filter than most of the stompbox-type bass synths provide, and I'm not interested in doing the Midi thing with my bass. Back in the old days, many of the keyboard synths had "external inputs" that would tie in to both the trigger and the VCO/VCF chain, and many of them were intended specifically for plugging in guitars and basses. Can anyone suggest a good vintage analog synth for this purpose? The cheaper the better, so an ARP 2600 is probably out of the question. I'm looking for something reasonably small (Korg? Roland?) that I can plug my bass into, and achieve detailed control of both ADSR and VCF parameters. If I can get that by turning a knob (as distinct from scrolling through menus), so much the better. Suggestions? Are any of you currently doing this with your bass?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are a few models in current manufacture that will do this.

Korg makes the inexpensive "Electribe" synths that have external inputs you can process. EA-1, ER-1 and ES-1 are the models to look at. They have relatively simple filter control (not full ADSR) but they make up for this with the ability to sequence your knob twists to make some truly insane noises.

You can also buy units that are just filters...Akai makes one but there are some small, more obscure brands as well.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

over to....Misc
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks Brian. Anyone else doing this with their bass? How about some ideas in the "vintage" area? Does anyone remember back that far? :)