Is There a Herbie Hancock Solo CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me if Herbie Hancock has ever recorded a solo album with no other musicians or instruments...only, pure, unadulterated Hancock? I'd like to buy one if he has.
  2. I don't recall ever coming across a solo album by HH. His albums have always been in association with at least one other musician, which, I think, is odd for a pianist of his caliber, who's been on the scene for over 3 decades (4?). I have seen him performing by himself on many occasions, but nothing in album (CD) form. I just did a search for his discography and found nothing.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I was about to say Future Shock ;)
    Hancock "by himself" with all those machines; there were a couple of "helpers" with him, though(percussion & DJ-types).

As Ed mentioned, I do recall Corea & Hancock doing a duet thing(2-record set?).

Truth be told, I think Hancock in a standard piano trio setting is pretty "rare"(there's a couple of imports with Tony Williams & Ron Carter over

Happy hunting, JO...
  4. The Hancock-Corea album that I'm aware of is on 1 CD. It is very good (I don't own it but have listened to it many times over many years. The title is "An Evening with Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea". Is there another Hancock-Corea album that I'm not aware of?
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you guys remember "Rock It?" :) :) :)
  6. How can I forget? "Rock It" embodies all the qualities of HH's techno projects, which I didn't like for a minute. Never did like techno-computer music. Obviously, enough people felt otherwise, after all, he did win a Grammy for it. I must admit, the man was certainly ahead of his time.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if you look in the racks, there are a huge number of CDs under Herbie Hancock's name, but if you just mean piano solo? I did see him play solo recently, on Jools Holland's "Later" on the BBC - just Herbie at a Grand Piano - wonderful!

This was at the same time as he was promoting his solo album "Gershwin's World" - I have this album and it does have tracks where he plays solo piano - but it also has lots of star guests on other tracks - liek Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell and there is one track where it is a piano duo between Herbie and Chick Corea! Two tracks are just Herbie on piano with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra!
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ..."Rockit" is from Future Shock; Hancock is "almost" solo, not quite. ;)

...that's the same Corea/Hancock album; I thought it was a 2-LP set(on ONE cd), maybe not.
  9. Boplicity

Thanks, guys. I just saw Hancock play a grand piano solo on an Odyssey Channel program about music. It was all too brief and I just loved his playing.

I also love George Gershwin...have ever since I was a little kid. "American in Paris" and "Rhapsody in Blue" are two of my favorites. You folks say Hancock has done a Gershwin album. I have to have it. Also the piano pairings with Chick Corea sound pretty interesting too.

I appreciate your input. Thanks again.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JO_ may also like the Miles/Gil Evans album, Porgy & Bess.
  11. Ummm....Headhunters is a good album. :D

That's all the Herbie I've got, but I really really like that album. I want to get some of his stuff he did with Miles, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That was me - I have "Gershwin's World" and it is good but might not "hang together" for some people as it mixes classical and Jazz along with more songs than improvisation. So somebody looking for group improvisation would probably be disappointed, but from what you have said before I think you would like it. Herbie is strictly at the grand piano on this album and seems to be going for a mix of African Rhythms and classical music. Joni Mitchell is quiet surprising as she doesn't sound anything like she does on her solos albums.
  13. Boplicity

JimK, "Porgy and Bess" has been a favorite of mine for years. "Summertime" comes about as close to being a personal theme song as any I know of (next to Emmanuel's "Se Fue Mi Juventude y No lo Sabia.") I would like to add the MIles Davis/Gil Evans CD to my collection.

Bassline1414, the album you suuggested "HeadHunters" sounds intriguing too.

And Bruce, "Gershwin's World" probably would appeal to me, as I frankly admit I am not so fond of wild flights into improvisation as some folks here. Call me timid...or whatever you wish.

Again, I appreciate all your input. It saves me spending money on CDs I end up putiing on a shelf to gather dust.
  14. Great album, but it's definately not what you would call a "piano solo" cd. Herbie plays a Fender Rhodes and it is a very funky album. A lot of weird sound effects and instruments, too.
  15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    corea/hancock on the same CD!!
    I never heard of it but I will look for it tomorrow morning!
    8:30 I'm in front of the music store.
  16. Did you get it? Just curious 'cause they don't stock them in the stores here. They have to be special-ordered (as with most anything jazz).
  17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I didn't find it Xavier, I looked in 4 or 5 different store and I didn't find it.
    NExt time I go in Montréal I will look for it in the HMV megastore.
    If they don't have it there I will order it.
  18. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Didn't Hancock and Wayne Shorter do a duo CD fairly recently? Can't remember if there were other instrumentalists on it.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, they did.

Anyway, check out the cover for Corea/Hancock.
    (Check out