1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a jazz shaped pickup that can emulate a rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gt96g, Jul 16, 2012.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I know it would never be exact but is there a jazz pickup that can cop the ball park of that tone. I have demoed a few ricks lately and come to the conclusion i like the tone but just don't care for the look or ergonomics of them.

2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The tone comes from many things, the maple body, the neck-through construction, the placement of the pickups, but lastly, the pups themselves. Sorry.

3. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I understand the build techniques contribute, I am sure the 33.5in scale has a lot to do with it as well, but I'm not looking to make a Jazz bass sound just like a rick, I know that will never happen, I'm just trying to get it in the ball park

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    the pickups in the geddy lee sig j are probably the closest you will find...

5. If you build a jazz bass with the pickups in the Ric locations, you will get very, very close. The ½ inch of scale difference is minor.

6. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I was thinking this might be the way to do it.

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    +1 for a Geddy Lee: