Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a light and cheap power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Sep 29, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    is there a power amp that is both light and cheap? the QSC RMX1450 is almost 50 lbs but its only $299 on ebay. the newer QSC models aer much much lighter, but they are more expensive too.

any suggestions? samson?? crest? crown????

>hanus<

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The qsc plx 1602 can be found used in the $400s.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not that i've seen
    certainly not any good
    for light i would go stewart (1.6 or 2.1) or the qsc PLX series, but be prepared to drop somewhere around 1 K
    overall, you get what you pay for. I wouldnt go with any really cheap power amps, you'll be dissapointed

4. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    do you mean the QSC MRX1450? haha does that count as cheap? what should i look at then?

what will a cheap power amp do? just not put out good power? like not the rating?

>hanus<

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    power amp manufacturers use a variety of methods to rate their amplifier's power ratings - yes a lot of them are deceptive. Not all 400 watt power amps will put out 400 watts at 40 Hz.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get tons of power on the cheap all day, if you don't mind the weight. If you want something light, you are going to pay a premium.

The best price/weight/power ratio is the Carvin DCM series.

DCM1000 - 1000 watt bridged at 4 ohms, $369, 2 rackspace, 25 lbs.

From there, you can pay more and get a Stewart or a PLX, or pay quite a bit more, and get a Peavey DPC.

If you are patient, you can sometimes get an older used Peavey DPC 700 for $350 or a DPC 1000 for $450 - $500 on ebay. But they don't come up very often.

7. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    There's also the Soundtech PS902. I have no experience with it, but it's 1U, and around 15-16 lbs. It doesn't give too much out the way of stereo channels (like 250W @ 8 ohmsper channel, I believe), but it does 800W @ 8ohms birdged. It's not cheap though.. it's like $500...

Don't quote me too much on the specs, just search google for "Soundtech" and it's all on there...

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It is actually the PS802 and I have been using one for 2 years. That is until I bought jonathonl's Ampeg Portabass 250 recently.

The PS802 is a good amp. It weighs in at 14 lbs and does either 800W @ 8 ohms bridged or 2 channels of 400W @ 4ohms per channel. If you run a pair of 8 ohm cabs, then you will get 250W per cab. If you run a pair of 4 ohm cabs, then you will get 400W per cab. I've been able to get more than enough volume out of the PS802 without driving it to its limits.

The PS802 is not the ultimate power amp, but they are inexpensive and light. They sell for around $300 on the used market if you can find one used. In fact, you might be able to talk me out of mine. Although, I'm not totally sure about that.

9. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    so would the QSC MRX1450 be a good first power amp? i mean its just heavey right?

anyone else use it? i dont really want to spend anymore on the lighter preamp but i think in the long run it will be worth it. Plus i have to find a SVP-CL somewhere, and cheap too....

>hanus<

10. Carvin?Carvin Amp

I don't know how much power you are looking for but I have an FET1000 and it is pretty darn light and powerful as heck!

Or there's always a new one...DCM1500

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    QSC PLXes are lightweight, RMXes are not.

I got my QSC PLX2402 for just over 500 bucks here on TB - it's 2400W bridged at 4 ohm, and weighs 21 lbs. Awww yeah.

I weighed my whole rack last night, 35 lbs. Altho the handles on my new rack case leave much to be desired in comfort, need to wrap them with something.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sure there are good used light and cheap power amps if you shop carefully and have some luck.

I bought a really nice used Peavey DPC 1000 (500 W per channel into 4 ohms, 1000 watts bridged into 8 ohms) for $200. It's 1U and about 12 lbs.