Is There a Lot of Girl Bassists??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SnowBaby518, Jan 11, 2004.

1. SnowBaby518

SnowBaby518 Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Southern Cali- US of A
    I am,ofcourse,a girl...and I would like to start playing the Bass Guitar(a baby blue one,preferably,lol) and I was wondering if there are a lot of girl bass players?? Are there any on this site,that can give me any suggestions?? Any guys that can give me any suggestions?? Thank you

2. you will find the "Bass babes" thread full of awesome female bass players. Also be on the look out for Treena Foster (easily found by her signature smileys :p). she is extremely knowledgeable and has more experience than probably more than 90% of the guys here. plus shes just cool. :)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know 5 personally, all good friends of mine, I can't help but wonder if it was my charismatic charm that led them to pick up the instrument. :smug:
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There aren't a lot of girl musicians in general. On top of that there aren't a whole lot of bassists in comparison with other instruments. So in terms of numbers, there aren't a lot of girl bassists.

HOWEVER, the bassists that are girls tend to be very very good. In addition, I've noticed a rise in girls picking up the bass (my sister's friend just started taking lessons this year). What inspired you to pick up the bass? Was it something in particular or just a whim?

What kind of bass are you thinking about getting? I've always wanted a Daisy Rock, personally...
  5. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm a girl; I play bass.

I'll be happy to try and answer any questions, but I am most certainly not very experienced or knowledgeable...

Advice? Gender has no relation to whether or not you can have a really awesome time playing bass.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great advice!

I'll add as a male musician, don't date anyone in your band... it'll usually fail and take the band down the tubes with it.

oh.. and welcome to talkbass
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm a woman who plays bass. Your gender should have no bearing on your success as a bass player. Afterall, the music theory and the techniques are the same for boys and girls and men and women who play bass. Notes,chords, scales, modes and keys are the same for all ages and both genders.

Knowing that one simple fact should liberate you from any misgivings you might have about learning to play bass guitar. Males do not have a monopoly on the bass. Hey, and don't let any guy try to ever kid you or bully you into thinking that gals can't play bass.
  8. my sister plays bass

I also have a baby blue bass :p
  9. AMEN sister!!!

I'm a bassist, who happens to be a girl!

Stacey, Carol Kaye is most likely the most well known female bassist on earth, check out her site and credits, then you'll see that being a "girl" has nothing to do with being a bassist!

Welcome to talkbass Stacey!

10. You're just to sweet!

11. SnowBaby518

SnowBaby518 Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Southern Cali- US of A
    He is a nice guy,huh? I'm new,and he really helped me out...A bunch of people helped me out,most of the people are really nice..

12. There are some great people here on TalkBass, along with some great Bassist, if you want to learn you've come to the right place!

13. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    Go for it Stacey! Playing the bass is a lot of fun and there are plenty of us bass gals out there to guide you when you need it. Be sure to choose a bass that feels really comfortable to play, because there will be a lot of practicing in your future and you will want to be sure you're comfortable doing it :)

Good luck!

14. ever band i have ever seen that has a girl in the band she either plays bass a horn or sings. funnything out of all people i ahve met over the years the only one who plays bass is a girl(with the exception of people i have met at music stores and bands i have talked to)
  15. Treena is correct. Carol Kaye is one of the most recorded bassists in music. When Paul McCartney says in interviews that 'Brian Wilson's playing on Pet Sounds totally changed my bass playing forever' he's actually talking about Carol!!

Other great females:

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)
    Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
    Kim Clarke (Defunkt, et al)
    Me'Shell Ndegeocello (solo artist)

Hell, back in the day (late '80's, early '90's) it seemed like EVERY band had a female bass player.

I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your dreams!
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jason Ol... I mean Boplicity and Treena said it best.

<small>I still miss seeing your old nick, Bop</small>

The best and most talented bass student I ever had was an 11-year-old girl. She had just started playing bass when she came to me, and she left all my other students in the just after just a couple of weeks. She played guitar and flute too!
  17. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I go to alot of rock shows at local clubs, and as previously mentioned, most musicians I see are men! BUT, I especially enjoy when the band is mixed gender. I think it adds something special to the show.

There was a local band many years ago called "Evil Al Jr. and the Minions" that had a female bassplayer who was a big part of the show. Also, I can think of a Texas Rock band with 2 women that puts on a heck of a show. And some bands are all female (why not? most band are all male).

I'd like to see more women in Rock.
  18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    In keeping with the Kim motif;

Kim Deal: Pixies/Breeders
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Let's not forget MC divinity and Leah randi!
  20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

By all means - please go for it !!!

I find that women are more attuned to the beat, (just look at who gets out on the dance floor first). And the bass is, partially, a percussion instrument in so many songs.

Have you ever seen little-bitty Tina Weymouth ??? Her bass looks gigantic on her, yet, she rocks the house because she is so friggin on-the-beat and has fine tone.

IMO, more women playing bass is a plus for all bassists..............and I am not "politically correct" by any means.