Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a market for a Jaco movie?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkee1, Aug 22, 2003.

Jaco Movie?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2003.
  1. I'd go see it.

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. Bad idea

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. I'm skeptical

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. I'd like another beer please!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    This is a Crossover from HCBF, so those who do double duty, don't post here.

I think a feature film bio of Jaco would be great, if done well. Not a documentary, like Standing in the Shadows, but a drama, like "Bird".

What do you think? Would the story translate? Was Jaco a likeable enough guy tgo be a protagonist?
    Would the downer ending be a turn off?

Whaddya think?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd see it, why not?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The only trouble is that they would probably cast somebody like Jim Carrey as Jaco! :eek:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You probably wouldn't find an actor who'd be able to fake the bass-playing scenes properly (and look like Jaco). And everything else would su... be a bad thing.

The Milkoswki story would also be too depressing IME.

The pictures, videos and music are legacy enough for my imagination. I don't need it spelled out for me by a TV docudrama.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I saw Milkowski give a talk at Berklee to promote the Jaco book.
    At the time(around '94 or so), he said that Michael Douglas's (i think that is who he mentioned) production company was interested in the book. I guess nothing came out of it.

I agree with JMX......I doubt it could be pulled off convincingly.....

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hey...you should've allowed multiple picks in the poll, 'cause I'd go see it, and I think it's a bad idea... and I'd like another beer please!

I think it's a bad idea because even though we'd be entertained by it, I think it would cause undue pain and suffering to Jaco's family, due to the impossibility of portraying certain tragic events in Jaco's life...and death...without traumatizing them unneccesarily.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id see it, definitely.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if they could do a flick on a bunch of unknown motown badasses, why wouldn't the jaco thing do well.

didn't bird do well in the theaters? it still had a good story line

9. I'd definately see it, I'm on a jaco thing right now... I'm going nuts learning his stuff. Portrait of tracy is the first song I've learned that's been a real challenge, it's gorgeous.

Sorry for going so off subject, but I'm confused about how jaco died.

I've heard that he started a fight with a bouncer, and got pummelled to death. I've also heard that he went into a club, or something, and was never seen again.

Could someone clear this up for an ig'nant sonsabitch? :p

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Jaco was trying to gain entry into a "bottle club" (this is a club that does not have a liquor license, but is BYOB and sells mixes and ice. You can drink on premises and they stay open all night) that he had been ejected from on one or more prior occasions for behaving badly while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Jaco also suffered from bipolar disorder (not even diagnosed as an existing condition at the time) that was of course exacerbated by the drugs/alcohol.

Jaco was murdered by an Asian martial arts expert hired as a bouncer by the club. Witnesses said Jaco was too drunk to defend himself, and that the bouncer continued to savagely beat Jaco even after he lay unconscious on the ground. The bouncer kicked Jaco in the head so severely as to dislodge one of Jaco's eyes from it's socket. Jaco spent the next week in a coma before he eventually died from the beating.

Sorry for the graphic and very un-entertaining images...but does anyone really need to see that, or do we need to subject the family to such a thing?

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd see that film of course, but somehow I think his life and fate was too sad to make a good film. His musicianship, no matter how good it was, is more or less only interesting to bass players so the film would not be watched by all that many people. Noone - apart from bass players - knows who he was really, so the market would not be that big.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There might be a market for it if they advertise it like a drama and not a documentary. If they market it like a documentary, i think most people will be turned away from it, not knowing who he was. I think it would be really hard to pull off by an actor, bass playing scenes aside. Jaco seemed to be such a complex character that it would be quite difficult for an actor to capture him. It would probably have to be someone that his lived his life to be able to fit in his character. With all that said, I think Johnny Depp would make a kickass Jaco on the big screen. :D

I've never seen a problem with depressing movies with downer endings. I prefere a movie that has a sad ending to a happy one, generally.

13. I would rather see a documentary the likes of SITSOM on Jaco then a movie like "The doors".

14. I would like to see it, although, i agree, i would want an actor to fake the bassplaying scenes to please us bassplayers. Other wise, all the bass players would laugh their butts off at how bad they fake it.

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

The Milkowsky book discusses Jaco's personality pretty well. It would be difficult to make him a protagonist that nonmusicians would care for.

I live about 90 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale where he lived, and know some people who met him. From what they've told me, it would be difficult to portray him as a protagonist.

But I personally would love to see it.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah.....Jaco who??? He was hardly a sympathetic personality and was narcissistic by all accounts.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hmmmmmm....sounds like Miles;)

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As far as casting goes, I'd say either johnny depp or brendan fraiser, seriously he looks a lot like jaco, just slap some long hair on him, and it'd be solid. :p

19. I don't know if it is a great idea. But I would still go see it.

20. Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it...

Wow, that's terrible.