Is there a Michael Kelly bass club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Newer Dave, Oct 6, 2018.

1. 4 string fretted

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 4 string fretless

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. 5 string fretted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 5 string fretless

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    If not, let's start one.

I nominate myself as member #1. Please leap in and take a number if you're eligible.

DSCN1273 - Copy.JPG

2. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    I get the feeling this club is not going to be a big success. :(

Old Blastard likes this.
  3. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I have a four-string fretless. No good pics at the moment.

Had to put a poly finish on the neck, as those inlays are not very fretless-friendly. :( Changed the sound, still looking for the right strings (have some Fender nylon tapewounds on it, sounded great before I worked on it, now not so much).

-Alex

4. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    I heard nylon tapewounds are the way to go for sound and to save the finish on the fingerboard.

So shall we have a club? Do we need a membership card? We should be able to keep track of the two of us.

5. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    scottm and mikewalker like this.
  6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I thought the Burns club might be the smallest on TB, but this one might beat it. :)

I have no idea what any of my club numbers are, but some people like numbers. Your call. (I can barely keep track of myself, let alone two of us. :wideyed:)

I do have a variety of tapewounds sitting around. They have been used on other basses, but I'm sure I can make a set fit the MK. All have been used on 2+2 headstocks, so that side should be fine... I liked the Fender tapes because they seemed "softer" than the other tapes. Most tapes feel fairly hard and rigid, but the Fender tapes felt more like rounds wrapped in black electrical tape.

Oh... I do have a set of LaBella gold-white nylons. I shall have to try them. And get a better pic...

7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    QweziRider likes this.
  8. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    No basses or golf balls were harmed in the poses, Abner. :D

9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I was going to ask what were you thinking... using the same bass from the tee as well as for putting... ;)

10. Cheez

Cheez

Apr 13, 2009
    D9B2BB03-1DAF-477B-AF8F-6B2CFAC7A2E8.jpeg

Newer Dave likes this.
  11. Cheez

Cheez

Apr 13, 2009
    That’s mine above. Under rated. I play it a lot, though mostly around the house. Sound good unplugged and very good plugged in. Labella white nylons.

12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    If there is, the members keep changing because of the frequent selling of these basses.

13. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Not a dragonfly...But it is a Michael Kelly and I play it often.
    20180517_122112~2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Newer Dave likes this.
  14. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I have a beautiful dragonfly that I am very happy with. Count me in.
    mkdf4.jpg

Newer Dave likes this.
  15. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    LMAO!!! It's cheaper that way. One club, two uses.

16. Tapewounds on this one.

upload_2018-10-6_22-58-40.jpeg

Newer Dave likes this.
  17. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    So the consensus is tapewounds is the way to go? That's more the sound I'm looking for.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  18. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    C'mon in. All's welcome here. Thread title changed to reflect that. Sadly couldn't change the poll question.

Datsgor likes this.
  19. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I dont know about a consensus, but I do have La Bella black nylon tapewounds on mine... :)

20. I've only tried the phosphor-bronze strings the bass came with and tape wounds. My personal preference is for the sound of the tape wounds (I have only tried the D'Addario nylon tape wounds), especially when playing with amplification. I have to confess I don't play the Dragonfly very often because I much prefer to play it when I'm sitting vs. standing. It has been fun to have around for the impromptu living room jams and I have enjoyed taking it on the road a few times to keep up my woodshedding while on vacation.
    FWIW, after a couple un-amplified sessions in the living room with two acoustic guitar players I bought a PJB Double Four to give the Dragonfly a volume boost. That's a nice portable combo. Cheers!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021