1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a more portable solution than a 4x10 with similar thunder in your experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Sep 19, 2010.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    The truth is that I would love to gig with a stack of 4x10s (especially if I didn't have to move it myself! :D ) but looking at where I usually play I would be better off with a small combo...

I like my Bergantino HS410, but it's a tad on the heavy side. My 2xMesa PH112 are a good substitute on smaller gigs, but not convincing me 100%.

If you're frustrated 4x10 lover like me but you found a good portable solution, would you mind sharing?

2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Some people on here have had success with vertically stacked rigs consisting of two 2x10"s or 2x12"s.

3. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've been pleased as punch (liquid pun!) with my Berg 310 for over 5 years. I put some good casters on it, and I have not needed anything else at any gig.

4. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Just played out with my gk 2 210 neos and loved it!. Light and loud. I second the 2x210 route. Sure you make an extra trip but you don't feel it.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A pair of vertically stacked 2x10s.

6. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Answer: What billfitzmaurice said!

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    LDS "nEarful" 15/6. Just under 50 lbs. At least as loud as my Epi 310 was-can certainly give a good 410 a run for its' money in terms of volume and sounds deliciously deep and defined. Only downside is you need about 500 watts at 8 Ohms to get it's full potential volume.

8. That HS410 is a very mid punchy, warm, loud beast. Nice 410. Most 2 x 112 stacks will have a wider tone profile, and won't reach the max SPL of that cab.

+1 to the 2 x 210 recommendation. The 2 x HS210 stack will get you 90% of the HS410 volume and punch, keep the tone profile you dig (warm, tight and punchy) and be an easier schlepp. The HS210's are very thin front to back versus the HS410, and the offset speakers make them just a touch taller for near field monitoring when stacked.

And.. bonus... you could sell your Mesa 112's and your HS410 (probably come out a bit ahead on cash), since you would have a 'modular HS410'. Get a good cart and be happy!

Edit: For significantly less money, the TC RS210's have quite a bit of the HS voicing to them... warm, organic, punchy. Nice cabs for that tone profile... the finish is a little fragile (similar to the AE Bergs), but if you use a cover, not much of an issue. Two don't cost much more than one HS210.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like to run 2 2x10s. You get the 4x10 sound but it is easier to move.

10. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My main cab is an Ampeg 410HLF but since we play alot of small and mid sized bars/clubs, I bought an Ampeg 210. I am really thinking about buying another 210 and vertically stack them and sell the 410HLF. It would make a modular solution where I could take one to small gigs and both when I need more volume. Sounds like you are looking for the same thing.

11. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Thanks All... but does really 2x 210 equal (or is close to) a 410?

12. probably better.....the vertical array is better for off axis response,and 2 lightweight cabs manage easier than one big one......the only down side is finding a spot to put your head......

13. Yes. You would have a hard time telling the difference between 2 HS210's and an HS410. Usually, the 410 version within the line has just a touch more ooomph (maybe do to the more direct driver coupling, or slight differences in internal volume and tuning). However, it is subtle.

I personally find a lightweight 410 with castors much easier to schlepp around versus two 210's on a cart, and of course, you will pay quite a premium for two 210's versus the equivalent 410 (double the crossover and tweeter and much more work to make two cabs than one). However, if modularity is key, it is a great way to go. The 'vertical stacking' thing has always been a minor issue to me when A/Bing vertical and horizontal stacking on the gig, but it will get that top driver closer to your ear, and help a touch with the midrange dispersion in the upper mids below the tweeter a bit.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not big on math in Spain, eh?

I'm totally kidding man. I've done as Bill F. has suggested, with two bottom ported 2 x 10's. with the ports sideways and apart, and it truly is fantastic.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Didn't we just have this thread?

16. This is specifically referring to his HS410. There is no general answer to the question, since some companies' 210's are voiced and perform quite differently than their 410 version of the same cab. So, no simple 'yes or no'.

Luckily, in the OP's case, two HS210's result in VERY similar tone and performance to the corresponding HS410 (which is 4ohms).

17. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    no argument regarding the 2x210 stack, etc.......though personally, I tend to prefer a single cab solution since in my experience I find to be more focused and controlled......again to my ears and in my experience...............with this in mind, have you considered or auditioned the AE410? A good bit lighter than the HS410, a bit of a different beast tonally, but might get you close enough to the HS410 tone or your tone.......
    obviously heavier than the 210 or 112 solution per cab.............but is a fairly portable 410, and quite capable.....

18. aux

aux

Sep 1, 2010
    I just got the pjb bg800.......MY GOD......its something to behold. the 5" drivers are visually unlikely, but you would have to hear it to believe it. Pricey, but possibly worth the money I paid.

19. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Yep, actually a Big One was on top of the list for a while!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021