Is there a need for bass effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have talked about effects with different sorts of musicians and i feel a bit tired of it because i hear the same comments every time, like "Your a bassist, get an all tube Ampeg head and cab and turn on the distortion and get a compression pedal" or "As the bassist i am i don't see the need of pedals, just get an amp, bass and cable and your set". I totally agree on the last one

Compression/Limiter, OD/Dist/Fuzz, Envelope filter, phaser, auto wah, vocoder/talk box, EQ etc i have tried them all and to be honest, nothing really gets me the feeling of "Yes, i need that in my rig", not a single effect has touched me like that.

I'm just babbling, my question is, is effects really nessesary for a bassist, you know it's all about what's in your head, fingers and heart. Sure a Envelope filter would be cool but is it really neccesary? I might be crazy ya all think.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Is this thread done to death already?
  3. I'm so happy I finally got my great "sound" I don't want to change a thing. The only effect you need is a big honking power amp with lots of speakers, a little EQ and a compressor.

But if you like toys, chorus is nice, then maybe the env follower or octave pedals. Never been a fan of distortion on bass myself. But you only use them sparingly, harder to justify getting them than for say a guitar player that uses them all the time to cover up his pathetic tone and utter lack of talent.... :D :hyper: :spit: :bassist:

4. that or if your like me (guy with a pitiful band in charge of handling strings) if sure does make things colorful
  5. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    I don't know man, I think it depends a lot on what types of music you're playing. Electroclash, spacefunk, blues, deathmetal............. they're all going to require a different sound in most cases.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm first and foremost a jazz/funk player. So 90% of the time effects are useless to me. But when I'm jamming by myself or getting into a spacey jam with some other cats, I often find myself wishing for a nice verb or chorus.

So, pretty much the only things I would want in terms of effects/pedals, would be an Ernie Ball volume pedal, a reverb pedal, and a chorus pedal. Distortion sounds really, really ugly to me.
  7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

8. DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003

Define effects.

If you define fx as 'toys', then yes, you don't NEED 'em, you just PLAY with them.

Also, think about this: you, your bass, amp, cab, ... are all part of the sound people hear when you play. If there happens to be a stomp box or rack unit in between, it also affects the sound. Playing with your thumb is an effect, as well as playing fingerstyle or with a pick.

To me stomp boxes and rack units help me getting out the sounds I have in my head. And that sound is different from day to day, from gig to gig.

There's no right or wrong. :D

9. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    It depends on what you mean by "effects"...
    ...ever plug you bass directly into the PA? Pretty boring, huh? Even "without effects", you've got the following determining your sound (ignoring strings, pups, etc.):
    * Preamp
    * Poweramp
    * Speaker size and type
    * Cabinet size and type

I've never used much in the way of effects other than compression until I discovered (I could afford) the Line6 Bass PODxt. Most of what it is really good at is amp/cabinet modeling. Basically, at the push of a button (or twist of a knob), I can switch between such classic sounds as Ampeg, Sunn, Fender, etc.

I'm still "tweaking" the unit, but I always thought it would be nice to have "preset sounds" at the push of a button. I'm not discounting the control over sound in the right-hand (I do a lot there too), but I really like switching easily between a seriously low-end rumble, a classic motown sound, a classic "English" sound or a slap-happy sound at the push of a button.

I never liked the idea of a pedal-board or lots of stomp-boxes lying around, so until I found a good multi-effect unit I could afford, I just "went without"...
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Why not ask Bootsy Collins that question?
  11. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    It's questions like this that shame me as a bassist.

That and: "OMGPICKorFINGERSWTFBBQ?1?!11eleven21!"
  12. For me efx are another instrument to play, they are not necessary but I like the opportunities to expand my choice of sounds. In the bands I play in if I leave the efx home they ask me how come and to be sure to bring them next time. :bassist: :hyper: :bag:
  13. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like to put a modified trumpet mute in the throat of the horn on my cab and make it "talk"... :eyebrow:

Fluorescent lights can be used near single-coil pickups to simulate distortion... :eek:

Using a drill to power a cloth flap wheel with all the flaps removed but two- on opposite sides- simulates a "flamenco strumming" sound.

See, kids, no need to go out and buy expensive "gadgets" to get those voices in your heads...I mean sounds in your heads...all you need is a twisted, warped imagination and common household items...

:D :D :D :D :bag:
  14. If I change channels with the TV remote, I get a cool blip / high hat sound.

So, does anyone know where I can get a TV remote with a footpedal ? :bag:

15. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Bootsy would get the groove(s) down without the effects it's really all in his fingers, heart and mind, see the effect in that case is the icing on the cake that just makes better turn perfect, you know what i mean? :)
  16. I call Tim, aka Typlons, to the stand. So Tim, "King of Muff", what do you have to say on this issue?
  17. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    hey, no angry looks on me please, i was talking about my situation, not all basssists around the universe, i like effects, just not in my setup :)
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, yes, this thread has been done numerous times, and gets closed each and every time. This one will suffer the same fate.

Second, this is the effects forum, therefore almost all of us here like them ;)

And thirdly, effects are as individual as basses, amps, or your and my playing style. They can add a dimension to our playing or suck tone from it. It's all a matter of taste, and if you can use it to your advantage, by all means do. If you choose not to use effects, it's your right and noone will critisize you.

Just as much as asking pick or fingers, fretted or fretless, four strings or eleven.

The end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.