1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a need to ever try or use anything other than fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lukas86, Sep 2, 2008.

1. I want to pose the question, as fender the most popular bass manufacturer and make (for the most part) good basses, is there a need to ever buy or try anything else? Surely, whatever style you play, there is a fender that suits that style. I have a jazz, and a squier P and so far have never really yearned, or desired anything else.

I have tried stringrays, ricks and thunderbirds, but always return to fender. An Im in Aus, and find their prices reasonable.

2. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    If you are happy to stick with Fenders, then all power to you. It's entirely a matter of taste. If you think that there is a Fender to suit every style of music, then that's a valid opinion, though you may find there are many people who disagree vehemently.

S.P.

3. Blankmann44

Blankmann44

Sep 23, 2007
    You don't know what you're missing, ESPECIALLY on the amp side of things (I don't care for fender amps one bit). That being said, more often than not on a given track you're going to hear a fender bass, and when you don't hear a fender bass a fender bass could probably make a similar sound.

Its entirely a personal taste thing though, I'm sure some people are sticking with their fords because they were the first cars around (?).

:bag:

4. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    "use" maybe not. "try" definately.

5. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    If you wanna play 6-strings or fretless, you stay away from Fender. Im a Warwick guy myself :)

6. I agree with you S.P. Well I guess choosing a bass is a very subjective process; it has to suit the player and feel right. Im speaking in general terms, in that a lot of people seem to suggest fenders to others who want a bass to play.......... or that sounds..............

It just seems like Fender is always a starting reference point, and if people aren't happy with fender, then they move on to the next brand. I guess thats the advantage of having a well known brand name.

7. Pretty much. Fender sells to the masses. If you're not in the masses, you're SOL.

8. Talkbass.com is brought to you by Fender.

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    there is no need to play anything but the first bass that is ever handed to you.

want and desire are completely different categories. Humans don't ignore desire, it's one of the things that is inherit in us.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    No. All other basses are BAD. Fender is GOOD. :rolleyes: But if one (Fender type) is all you can have then you can't go wrong with a Fender, or a Sadowsky, or a A.C, or a Mike Lull....

11. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    i hear that if you eat nothing but bananas, you can survive. doesn't sound like much fun though.

12. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    1+

13. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    "Need"? Not if you like what you have. But... ...continuing to check out new gear or re-try gear on a periodic basis helps you be a more informed, smarter consumer and bass player, no matter if checking out gear confirms your likes/decisions or if it changes them.

I personally prefer and put more stock in opinions from someone who has this approach: "I keep coming back to my old favorites x, y and z, depite all the new and cool stuff out there that I've tried over the years;"

Regards.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is there a need to ever try or use anything other than fender?
    No.

Is there a need to ever try or use anything other than a Ford automobile?
    No

Is there a need to ever try or eat anything other than a oatmeal for breakfast?
    No

But life would get really boring really fast.

15. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    6 strings- Fender doesn't make one so there's no "staying away"
    Fretless- I have a Fretless Fender. I didn't stay away. And there was this guy named Jaco, and the brand didn't hold him back.

Less overgeneralizations, please.

16. EliasR

EliasR

Jul 29, 2008
    Anchorage
    Well, there's no "need" to even play an instrument...But why don't you go along with your Fender and we'll see what happens. Buy pre-cbs if you want a better instrument.

(Disclaimer: I own a Fender myself, and it's a fine bass)

17. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    There are other basses other than Fender?
    Come on, seriously?
    Since when?

18. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I love my Fenders, but yes there many other wonderful basses out there that offer something different and equally wonderful. At times you've got to go for the jumbo pack of crayons if you know what I mean.

19. There is no NEED for music in general. I do see people playing basses other than Fender and it's many clones, so I guess there is a place in this world for ALL instrument makers.

20. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    All I need is this padle ball game, this ashtray and this lamp. Oh, and this chair. All I need is this padle ball game, this ashtray, this lamp and this chair-and I don't need anything else. Except this....