1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a notable difference between the new HT112ER/EX112ER and older HT112/EX112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Currently my Bergantino HT112 is for sale because I plan to upgrade to either an AE410 or HT112ER/EX112ER stack. But if there isn't a notable difference between the new HT112ER/EX112ER stack and the older HT112/EX112 stack, I don't see a reason to go through all the trouble if I can just buy an EX112.

Does anyone have any information that might help me?

Thanks a lot!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I love my ht112 and ex112 I don't know how to improve on them except increase wattage handleing with same tone....

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    tom bowlus seemed to thing the bergie ht112 was one of the best sounding 112s on the market. I tend to agree....ex112 is pretty good too unless you need very high frequencies.

4. that's very reassuring, but i'm wondering how they directly stack up against the extended range version cabs.

any one a/b these cabinets?

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The new ER's will give you a bit more low end from what most report ((I haven't heard one), but the same basic tone as your current HT (same drivers and tweeter from what I understand). If you like the sound of your current HT, adding the EX will greatly increase volume and round out the low end a bit. That's a very good, cost effective way to pump up your rig.

The AE410 is a totally, completely different voicing and tone... much more aggressive in the upper mids and treble, and a much bigger sound in general.

If you want to lighten the load a bit, get more low end, and a bit more aggressive tone up top versus the HT112/EX112 stack, the AE112 x 2 would probably make sense as a swap out.

6. how would an epifani ul 410 II fit into the mix?

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yet another very different flavor. If you do a search, I believe I have a comparison thread up with lots of other posters giving their opinions.

Briefly... Epi is deep, wide, pure, airy top end, smooth mids. It's a GREAT funk/pop/modern jazz voicing. The BergAE410 is a bit attenuated in the deep low end, and VERY mid present, especially in the upper mids. It's a grindy, punchy beast. I like them both a lot.

Both will bury the little HT112/EX112 stack in terms of low end and volume IMO and IME. I'm sure the ER stack would get a bit closer on the low end, but those are some pretty hefty 112's regarding weight.

Since you obviously have some cash if you are considering these top of the line cabs, I would also HIGHLY recommend looking into the new TecAmp cabs, especially the s212. It's 40 pounds, and it really wumps. It is upper mid present, but not in the 'overly in your face' way of the AE410, and has a very nice, usable, punchy low end. It comes in 4ohm and 8ohm version. Probably the best 'bang for the size and weight' in the industry right now IMO and IME.

8. i think i'm leaning towards the epifani ul410 II. from what i hear, the berg AE410 is a great cabinet... but I mostly play the styles you described with the epifani's tone.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The LMII (which I think is the amp you are using from reading your profile) sounds very nice with the 410UL (4ohm). I will warn you that the newest version is now about the same weight as the Berg AE410 (mid 60 pound range). That's still nice and light, but not 'amazing' like the original 57 pound spec.

I will also warn you that the 410UL (the II is the current model) is WAY differently voiced than what you are used to with your HT112. It's almost like taking the bit of 'frowny face' EQ that is built into the HT112 and flipping it over to a bit of 'smiley face' EQ. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on what you are looking for.

I'll again say if you like the sound of that very nice HT112, and just need some more ooomph, you might be very pleasantly suprised by picking up a used original EX112 (they come up for sale quite often). That stack is also a very nice match with the LMII IMO and IME!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The new HT112 ER is quite different from the HT112.

Head to head, the ER is MUCH bigger and deeper in the low end, though it still stays tight. In fact, the low end from that cab is probably the most amazing I have ever heard (outside of an IP series cab) from a box anywhere close to that size.

The high end is rather similar between the two (plenty of extension and clarity, with a nicely 'connected' feeling, relative to the driver), but the mids are rather different. The original HT112 is very focused, punchy, and complex through the mids. The HT112 ER sounds more open, and is probably closer to 'flat' through the mids, but it does not have the same focus as the HT112 (which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on your preferences).

Tom.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'll obviously defer to you on the ER versus originals. It is quite amazing how a little more internal volume and different porting can change the voicing of a cab, even when the driver and other components are the same. It blew my mind that the Aguilar DB and GS 112 cabs had the same components, and must that little extra internal volume, cab material and porting changed the whole vibe.

Edit: FYI, I got my information from a couple of dealers who described the original versus ER difference as a subtle tweak (i.e., a little bit more low end, hence softening the mid response relatively to the low end response), so who knows!

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    True. However, I believe the drivers are not identical, but I could be wrong on that.

13. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Jolt!
    I got a chance to try the HT112ER but not the stack since there was not and EX112ER in the shop. I was there auditioning the HS410 and figured why not. I used and love the original BMS for years but found it needed a bit more low end push and throw to the rooms I was playing.

Note: I slightly preferred the HS410 over AE410 using my DB750 even though the AE is stupendous.

So, this question goes out to anyone who has gigged or at least a/b'd these cabs.

1. How would any of your owners of the ER stack rate it against either of the Berg 410's the AE and HS as far as volume, throw, mix punch, and off-axis performance ??

2. How does a single HT112ER perform with the LMII which usually doesn't do that great with an 8ohm?

Note: I'm quite sure the 410 will be louder but not sure how much in this case since the ER's are bigger, but it's probably around 15 -20% like Kjung has stated many times. Tom B. just happens to be gigging a couple HT-ER's this weekend so I'll be looking forward to hearing his take.

Note: I spent several hours on TB researching what I could but still felt I needed to ask directly, so TIA. :

My plan is to either to:
    1. Replace my AE410 with the HS410
    2. Replace my AE410 with the ER stack
    3. Get the ER stack for alternative rig and keep the AE410
    4. Get the ER stack for alternative rig and get the HS410

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Now kids, that's what was called, in the late 20th and early 21st Century, a "Gas Station".:)

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Gigged with the HT112 stack for almost two years, then moved up to the IP112ER stack. Have also got students who have the HT112ER cabs, and have A/B'd them here at the house and on gigs. The ER is a different beast altogether - tons of bottom, and still with the clarity that is a hallmark of the Berg speakers in general. The older HT had very little bottom to them, in retrospect - very very clear, punchy, and precise, but not much bottom, and the low B string on 5's, 6's, and above sounded identical to the same notes an octave higher. That is definitely NOT the case with the ER's - the low B string sounds LOW, and DEEP. Incredible little cabs.

Then there's the IPs - from another planet. See below. Save your pennies.

Also gigged with the Aguilar GS112's for a year and a bit, and wondered why I couldn't hear myself. Sounded lovely by themselves - for solo bass work, fantastic. But had a hole in the midrange you could drive a truck through. And huge, deep, and awkward to fit in a trunk. I could get ONE Aguilar in the trunk of my car - the second just would NOT fit by about 1/2" - I could get 4 (!!!) HT112's in there, with room to spare. 2 - HT112's are SMALLER than ONE of the Aguilar GS112 cabs.

A single HT112Er with the LMII sounds great, it is just not that loud. Put another speaker on there and look out - a different beast altogether.

And here's my thought on the ER's when we first got them around here (my student got one first), and at the end of the thread some of my thoughts on the IP - WARNING - severe gas ahead....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471583&highlight=

8 months in with the IP cabs and they STILL blow me and anybody who hears them away. Last week on Saturday, played a small and quiet jazz trio gig with one cab, then went directly to a large and VERY loud rock gig, with HUGE PA support - the cabs ROCKED in both situations. Incredible. Played the trio gig again last night - it's like having a studio monitor with you, but one that can cut and punch through like noboy's business.

There's NOTHING like the IP's - astonishing things - save your money and get them.

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Ok thank BassFlute.

So how would an original HT112 sound over a EX112ER ?