Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a Pedal that can do the Billy Sheehan OD Sound quite similar???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jul 13, 2005.

1. hello..

so.. I know that Ampeg has a "Billy Sheehan Preamp" with a Overdrive channel that sounds like his tone, but I don't need a preamp and it would be cool if a Pedal could get close to this great sound.

thank you

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Proco RAT will get pretty close (better in my opinion but who am I ?)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, Billy's signal is split, he's got two outputs from his basses and runs them into seperate amps and effects them differently. He maintains a gritty low end with plenty of highs this way.

4. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Actually, his low end is clean, the high end is all that he distorts...

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The rat will not do it. I've owned the preamp. The closest thing in pedal form is probably a boss metal zone but it had better be used with an effects loop that can be by passed if your picky about altering your clean tone. The distorted channel of my Aguilar AG500 is in the ballpark. I just ordered a sansamp triac pedal hoping to get this solo tone back since I sold the sheehan preamp. A bass with dimarzio P-pickups helps too.

6. Or you could always get the old classic Pearce BC-1 preamp with the doomboost mod.
    :)
    Dirk