1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a perfect amp/monitor... for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Ok so i already own some great gear:

schroeder 1515+L 4 ohm
    Dr. bass 1260 ceramic 4 ohm, 115 w/tweet 4 ohm(on its way)

Mesa Carbine M6

This gear is great for the cover/rock band im in(currently leaving too)

But since im going to be in one band only at this point-- Experimental/Electronic with lots of effects

I play sax, vibraphone, bass, keys, synth, and everything in the computer going though the cab. And although i haven't gigged with the gear i have right now im already wondering if there are other options that would benefit me much more for my situation.

I need everything crystal clear since there is so much going on with lots of instruments and effects. I thought about having a powered monitor since basically i will be toting around a monitor for this band.

should i just use what i got or do you have some ideas that might work for me? (I'd be willing to sell my great gear if there is something better since it looks like i wont be playing in any other bands for a long time)

2. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    bump

3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Accugroove comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

How deep do you want the monitor to go? How much power will you be pushing through it? Is it a monitor just for you, or for other members of the group as well (like the drummer, for instance)?

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    ideally i'd like it to be a dedicated monitor since I will be putting the other 2 bandmates through it eventually. they play guitar and drums.

I need it to be a little deep but not muddy. I'm more concerned with clarity then deepness.

I'm not sure what frequencies tenor and bari sax have let alone vibes and effects....

are you proposing a powered monitor or sep. amp/monitor components?

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hmm... A personal monitor which can handle multiple instruments with power and clarity?

Perhaps a dedicated keyboard amp like this one?: Traynor K4 (57.3 lbs.) $970 CDN

Or maybe self-powered full-range PA cabs along these lines?:

- Yorkville NX55P (41.9 lbs.) $899 CND

- Yorkville NX750P (60.2 lbs) $974.25 US

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Bjazzman, thanks for the added information. I was thinking of a separate cab and amp. Often the more high-end parts are found in separates, and if clarity is at a premium then in my opinion something beyond the typical bass cab is called for.

There are a lot of factors that go into clarity that are not significant issues in building a bass cab. Smooth frequency response with good top-end extension and articulation is the most obvious, but there's also suppression of internal and panel resonances, low diffraction (the importance of which is under-appreciated in my opinion), low flux modulation motors, good interaction with the acoustic environment (which includes pattern control), and good interaction with the amplifier. And probably some others I'm leaving out.

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI

cool so any ideas on particular brands or specifics on whats out there now? or are you proposing building the cab and suggesting a specific head? when it's all said and done will it be much better than the gear i have now?

8. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    As I mentioned, Accugroove comes to mind. Or a Yorkville, as mentioned by MIJ-VI. I know the designer for Yorkville, or at least the guy who used to design for them, and he may have done those. He is very competent, and I would imagine that anyone stepping into his shoes has had to prove themselves likewise. Anything that might involve something I'd do, I'd rather not discuss in a thread here, if you don't mind.

But in general, I think you're looking for something like a small, very high quality PA speaker.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Bag End?

10. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    all great suggestions so far. i do want to keep the weight around or under 50lbs.

i really should get a dedicated monitor for this band, but if i were to keep the cabs that i have, are there particular heads that would work better for me than the mesa carbine?

has anyone used the yorkville or non-bass specific powered monitor as a bass cab.

or better yet, to those multi-instrumentalists like myself, what do you use?

11. You work for Long & McQuade don'tcha! :)

Paul

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    For a one-cab solution that goes into bass frequencies, look at those big double 15" PA cabs.

A provider we had a while ago used 4 of the JBL MRX525s as FOH, not too shabby actually. I mean, it wasn't a 'proper' system, but he had it all running of one QSC PLX. There's a couple of other JBLs and a Peavey for definite too.

13. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i'd be interested in one cab solutions but nothing over about 50lbs. is there a frequency range that i should be looking at to cover all my instruments?

there is a company in town that will rent out some powered speakers and you can use that rental money toward the purchase. I might try out several of those

14. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    At times I almost feel that I do. If my qualifications for employment with L & M extended beyond abusing a couple of Mono BLOCKs in bar bands :bassist:, I'd apply for a paid position. :D

15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    +1 on renting to try, and possibly buy, prospective self-powered bi-amped full-range PA speakers.

As well, prefacing a rental with an appointment to do some critical listening with a mixed-bag recording of various types of acoustic, electric, and vocal music, along with playing one or more basses via a good pre-amp, would be helpful.

It seems to me that makes & models of active PA cabs which are preferred by music store rental departments and touring companies would be worth looking at.

16. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    would my focusrite saffire pro 40 interface where all the instruments go in be enough as a preamp in this regard or can you recommend me one that I should look at?

17. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    JBL SRX 712M with a power amp would do the trick. Meyer Sound has some self-powered monitors that would be incomparable, but they are about 75 pounds, a little heavier than you spec'd. The SRX is only 33 pounds, and handles 800 watts continuous, 3200 watts peak. A decent pro audio power amp should give you a clean signal for whatever you run through it.

The problem you will have going with a different type of setup is one of cabinet effect. The bass cabinet will emphasize the lows too much for keys, horns, etc. The keyboard amp will have an uncomfortable bump in the mid to upper mid range that will sound out of place for your other instruments. A full range cabinet (monitor) will properly playback all sources, but you can't skimp on quality. The JBL SRX series is the cheapest monitor I could recommend to properly fit your requirements. Otherwise, I would go with Meyer Sound's UM-100P. It will blow you away with its sound and can keep up with whatever you throw at it.

Your other option is going high quality IEM's. Playing so many different sounds would really bring out the benefits of IEM's full range and isolation while providing a nice stereo mix for your keys (you do send you keyboards out stereo, right!). Something else to think about.

18. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    You are describing the Berg IP112. I use one of these as a monitor for myself and our drummer for my church gig. It works great. I run my signal direct to the board through a Fishman Platinum DI and take an Aux send to the Berg. I can mix in exactly what I want of the band mix and it sounds as good or better than the mains (I don't have as much room effect). This rig also works great as a stand alone bass rig.

19. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Wow! :eek: SAFFIRE PRO 40. I'm not familiar with pre-amps of this sophistication, but if it has all the inputs you need then yeah, this sledgehammer will kill ants! :)