1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a perfect amp/monitor... for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    now im starting to wonder if i should just use the 2 headphone outs(and split one of the outs since we have 3 guys) and use the monitor outs on my focusrite saffire pro 40 to just monitor the whole band live. Not quite sure how im going to pull this off or if it will work with my computer(macbook pro intel 4gig ram) but it might be the cheapest route... maybe get a buttkicker and wireless headphones? i guess i could mix everything on my own with my software but the soundman won't have much control over the different instruments. i think that maybe using a 1/4" to xlr snake would allow the soundman to mix on his own too?

anyone ever done something like this?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Well, I have zero experience using In-ear monitors or ButtKickers.

However... 'In Ear Monitors bass sound question.'

3. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Yeah! Having your Mac (studio-quality effects & processing plug-ins + mix automation) directly control your band's on-stage in-ear mix independent of FOH would be golden! :hyper:

And having all your band members hearing the same studio-quality mix via the same make & model of wireless in-ear monitors in lieu of wedge boxes & loud instrument amps (quiet rigs can be baffled) would make every public performance a multi-track recording opportunity!

Think of the dough one could save on studio time!

Besides, who wouldn't rather record live... :bassist: :D

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so would i still need an in-ear monitor system with the saffire? and would i be able to have a butt kicker with it? and would that work using a snake like i described out of the saffire outs to have individual di's off the interface? im thinking it would be good to have some sort of wireless earbuds since i move around a bunch onstage

5. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    If you check the link I included in post #42, you'll find pros who've used in-ear monitors and ButtKickers.

Their experience will likely prove to be very useful... :bassist:

6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so im thinking about getting the best of both worlds with wired in ear monitors and possibly a carvin ls1503. How would i be able to do this out of the headphone out of my interface? would i need another headphone amp then split the outs to my earbuds and monitor?

or should i keep my dr. bass 1260 ceramic and schroeder 1515l+ and get head suited for transparency? any ideas would be great. i currently have a mesa m6 for a head

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so I have it narrowed down to these monitors: jbl eon g2 cerwin vega cva 28 yorkville nx55p and carvin lsx1503a

the only one I could try out before buying is the jbl but they are on closeout from a rental company for cheaper than all of the above cabs.

still not sure if it's a pay for what you get kinda thing with these active monitors. I am doing lots of instruments including bass and effects.

the carvin gets a lot of praise around here but its the heaviest and bulkiest of the bunch

what do you think?