Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is there a pickup like this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 17, 2005.

1. hello pickup folks,

so i don't spend a lot of time in the pickup forum, so cut me some slack if this has been discussed many, many times already.

so anyway, i found that i really like the sound of an active pickup with the bass and treble turned up a bit (basically a scooped mid sound), but i don't like having to think about the battery dying, so is there a high output pickup that has a scooped mid kind of sound?

Charlie

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    For passive pickups, Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounders might be in the ballpark...

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've heard nothing but great things about the Villex pickups, and they have a passive mid control, so that may be ideal for you.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Have you ever had active pickups before? You have to play/keep it plugged in a LONG TIME before that baby dies. Active pickups AND preamp (OBP-3, for example) on a 9V would die quickly. Active pickups like EMG (of which I am acquainted) can survive on the same battery for months and months. 6 months minimum if you're using it an hour or 2 a day.

I like EMGs for their versatility and usually really nice options. As long as you've got the routs for it, you can get anything from a P bass like sound to dual coils that are pre-wired for coil tapping so you can get J/J, DC/DC and any combination in between. Just check your routs first.

-Eric.