1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is there a pickup like this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 17, 2005.

1. hello pickup folks,

so i don't spend a lot of time in the pickup forum, so cut me some slack if this has been discussed many, many times already.

so anyway, i found that i really like the sound of an active pickup with the bass and treble turned up a bit (basically a scooped mid sound), but i don't like having to think about the battery dying, so is there a high output pickup that has a scooped mid kind of sound?

Charlie

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    For passive pickups, Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounders might be in the ballpark...

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've heard nothing but great things about the Villex pickups, and they have a passive mid control, so that may be ideal for you.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Have you ever had active pickups before? You have to play/keep it plugged in a LONG TIME before that baby dies. Active pickups AND preamp (OBP-3, for example) on a 9V would die quickly. Active pickups like EMG (of which I am acquainted) can survive on the same battery for months and months. 6 months minimum if you're using it an hour or 2 a day.

I like EMGs for their versatility and usually really nice options. As long as you've got the routs for it, you can get anything from a P bass like sound to dual coils that are pre-wired for coil tapping so you can get J/J, DC/DC and any combination in between. Just check your routs first.

-Eric.