Is there a pignose for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Just wondering if there are portable bass amps that can operate on a battery.

The thought of busking would be cool but I hate acoustic bass guitars with a passion. Lousy tone and no volume.
  2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There is a 30 watt bass version of the Pignose amp.
    It is not very loud and lacks punch but it does run off battery power. I have seen one used by a bass player playing in an acoustic setting with 2 guitarists and it worked well for this.

Link to one:
  3. Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess I was thinking one thing and typing another. I'm not looking specifically for a Pignose but just a portable bass amp.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A friend of mine, Michael Gosh, plays Chapman Stick over a small Peavey PA cab, a car hifi amp, and various stompboxes, all powered by a car battery.

I can ask him for more details if you're interested.
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Crate also sells a battery powered Bass amp called a Limo.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've tried the Limo and wasn't impressed. There is a company that makes a big battery-operated combo. I have never tried it, but it looks good on paper. Here is the link to the web site for Walker Labs:
  7. This isn't helpful at all really, but it's kind of funny. Fender used to make a little bassman (I don't think they make them anymore) that was made of plastic, had 4 1" speakers and ran on a 9v. It was more of a toy than anything, but it was fun. I loaned it to a girl that I was teaching how to play and she fried it. She claimed it burst into flames!
  8. Is it safe to run stuff off of car batteries? I've already got a 25w practice amp so that'll be good...but car batteries are expensive, heavy and non-rechargeable.
  9. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002

err no. I think that you'll find that they are rechargable. Any car battery charger could do it.

But, they are heavy and quite expensive (and full of nasty acid).
    If you wanted to use your present mp with the car battery you'll need to open it up and see what internal (DC) voltage it runs off. Then find a way of converting the car battery to the correct voltage (regulated power supplies...hmmm).

Another way would be to buy a switch mode power supply, you can get them at most car shops that will convert the 12VDC to 110VAC. Check the power rating of the amp - it's probably about 30W (input power) for a 15W output.

10. I'm not a car guy so I'm not familiar with car battery rechargers. I do know that I don't have one though...

I think I'd prefer buying another portable combo rather than risk electrocuting myself.
  11. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Car batteries are no good for this use. I've seen someone power a Peavey TNT with a Marine battery and a step up transformer.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're recharging your car battery whenever the engine runs.
  13. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeh, your probably right.

The switch mode power supply is fairly easy - you clip one end to your car battery (or into the cigar lighter socket) and the supply has a mains plug socket on it - just plug in your amp.

Only problem is carrying everything around, (amp, power supply and battery), but this depends upon what you were planning to do.

14. Three words...

Busking...for...chicks... :D
  15. The Hog 30 is a nifty little amp. I have one and take it to the cottage in the summer and jam with my friends. It is still a bit of a pain since they just bring in their acoustic guitars,and I'm lugging a bass and an amp, but it does a decent job.
    Fender also make a batter powered amp call AMPCAN or something like it. I was told it works well with acoustic basses.
    Either way, I would try the HOG30!
  16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    On The Bottom Line, a subscriber discussed his portable setup...basically a small combo bass amp, a power inverter that you can buy at Wal-Mart for converting 12 Vdc to 120 Vac, 60 Hz. He used a trolling motor battery (aka Marine battery) since they're designed for constant discharge. Automotive batteries don't like this kind of duty since they're designed to give up gobs of current for a short period of time (starting the engine) then get charged right away by the alternator.

As far as getting electrocuted...the voltage involved at the battery is just under 14 Vdc but there is a lot of current available into a short circuit...that's what you need to worry about.
  17. How would I recharge a Marine battery? I hate the thought of throwing batteries into landfills. I use rechargeable batteries whenever I can.
  18. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    A marine battery is just like a car battery and can be charged with a car battery charger. The only difference (apart from the cost - they can be seriously expensive) is that they are designed for "deep cycling" which just means that you can run them flat and then recharge them. Car batteries aren't designed to be ran flat and won't last long if you keep doing it to them.

You'll probably find it easier and cheaper to find a used Hog 30 on ebay, and you won't have to worry about all the extra gubbins.

B.T.W A power inverter is basically the same as a switchmode power supply.

19. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    I've had a Hog 30 apart plus have the schematic. It's about a 3 watts rms amp. The battery is two 6V4Ah in series, total 48 watthours. It goes at least 10 hours on a charge! I replaced the speaker with a 8" car subwoofer so it sounds great on 5 string. :) By the way the ads say it has a compressor/limiter - no way is that any where on the schematic. Must have gone the way of that 30 watts rms they advertise (what's that I smell? ;-) . I also boosted the gain on mine and it clips without any hint of a limiter kicking in. Without the gain boost it only played at about 1/4 the volume it does now - but my passive 5 string has real low output. I replaced R6 with a 4.7k resistor (was 47k).
  20. Unfortunately, I'm not a techie so I didn't really understand all of the previous post. Here's what I got out of it:

- It ain't as powerful as they say.
    - It clips at a low volume setting.
    - It has a long battery life.

2 against 1. Then it's not a good deal to buy? They have a Hog 30 at the local store so I'm going to drop by (eventually) to check it out.