Is there a point to AOL?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Got broadband and a new lightening fast computer a little more than a month ago. I've had AOL since birth and think I may have some familial connection to it that I'm starting to think is holding me back. Having difficulty cutting the apron strings though, as I don't want to give up the comfortability I have navigating through it, nor my email address.

I have just, just noticed though that it slows EVERYTHING down UNBELIEVABLY. Why does it do that??? Is if for my own protection or is it to my detriment? It's really difficult for me to get around talkbass - if I click on "today's posts" or any search feature I have to wait and refresh before I get the page? Some other sites, such as (which I just learned about) I can't even log into? With internet Explorer, all those problems disappear, and all my pages come up instantly.

What's the deal with AOL. Should I cut those strings or is mommy protecting me from the bad men?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    None whatsoever!!!!! Get rid of that crap!!!! :)
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hi Nino. Long time no see. Hope you yer family and yer basses are all doing well.
  4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Ditch AOL. Ditch IE.

Long live Firefox.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AOL 1) is expensive 2) is intrusive 3) is crappy software

Cut the cord Joe! Why pay extra to be spied on?<O:p></O:p>

It saddens me to think people are paying extra money on top of a broadband connection to be exploited.<O:p</O:p
  6. From what I heard about AOL Dialup is that you connect to one server which connects to another which connects to yet another which connects to the internet making things hella slow...I wouldn't be surprised if AOL Broadband did the same.
  7. I went from dialup through MSN to cable with Comcast. I bought my modem, with the rebates it was almost free, and I didn't download the Comcast software, just made the proper setup through Internet Explorer.

I suggest immediately turning on IE's built-in firewall. Then, once you get connected, download and run Ad-Aware as well as Spybot Search and Destroy. You'll be amazed at how much malware was loaded onto your computer.

The only drawback to changing ISP's is the email address change....
  8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I still have AOL and Broadband through my cable. I hung on to the AOL for the email. I was using my AOL email for my work email and didn't want to change because of the many contacts I had with a large company I was doing business with. The contract has ended with the large company so I no longer feel so tied to my email address. I have started using my other email and will soon no longer use AOL.
    Now if I can just get my wife to give it up. AOL that is. :D
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would avoid using whatever ISP for email, instead using one of the many free ones online. no ties that way.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, but there is a reason that many call it "AOHell."

brad cook
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dump AOL. I don't get the point of adding to a broadband connection...

I mean, I pay like 45 a month for 4mbps cable modem, and I don't want AOL getting in my way. And it costs a bunch! Dump it and don't look back.
  12. AOL exist simply to piss off the intelligent. Looks like you're getting smarter, boy.
  13. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    FWIW -- Most ISP's will allow you to keep an email address with them even if you no longer use them as your ISP.

From what I recall it's just a few dollars per month ($6 maybe??). I'd suggest paying this small amount for a few months after you DITCH AOhelL In this way, you can slowly spread the word that you have a new email address while still receiving mail at your old address. Switching email addy's is only painful for a little while. And trust me, being free from AOL will be worth the cost of a new address IMHO.

14. I hear the politically incorrect term far more often, gAyOL
  15. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    AOL does suck get your mail book bookmarks and bounce... get firebird... ie isnt bad, but get google bar for IE... sp2 ie has popup blocker i think....

Only down side to loosing aol is you get to copy your email book/bookmarks and you will have new email... when ever you switch isps your email will change unless you got one that is not directed to isp like yahoo/gmail

If you need a email i can give you one/few if you want... and

That way as long as i got a server/domain you got email even if you switch isp:D

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

That's really the point, in my opinion. AOL is designed for "ease of use", meaning especially all the gazillions of folks out there who are still learning the details of computers. It has some nice features like built-in parental controls, and keywords, and so on. But all these features really slow down the system. For instance, when you type something into your browser, first AOL has to check to see whether it's a permitted link, which takes extra time, and then it has to see whether what you've typed in is in the keyword database (which is on "their" side, meaning it's an extra round trip through the server), and so on. To be fair, this tradeoff of performance versus features probably occurs in "every" piece of computer software. Most of the time one doesn't notice it, as long as it's all happening "in your machine". It's the server round trips that really kill us, performance-wise. My own experience aligns with what profautovoncoq is saying, which is that once I got a little more familiar with computers, the performance delays became very annoying, and I looked for something that was more "direct" and therefore faster. Currently I have pacbell, which by default installs the Yahoo system in your computer. That's another one that kills your performance, especially if you have multiple machines connected on a home network. I've de-installed Yahoo off all my machines, and the whole system is about ten times faster. All in all, I'd have to say pacbell has been "pretty reliable", relatively speaking. I get maybe five or six days of downtime in a year, mostly when their DNS goes down (like last night). :)
  17. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    When I had AOL, we got hacked 3 times. The bills were just terrible. It took up almost all the memory on my old comp.

Theres other browsers that have the same smooth-ness just not the added in CRAPOLA!
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think AOL was really only necessary when the internet was this new, mysterious thing that was starting to find its way into people's houses. There is still a big market for it, since there are still millions of first time computer users that need to be told where to click and such. It's pretty much useless outside of first time users though, because there are faster, less intrusive, less limited and overall better ways to use the internet. But I think AOL maintains #1 status simply because they have so much momentum from the initial popularity, it became kind of a name people could trust or whatever.

I always kind of thought of AOL as this like, fake internet, they try and make it feel like it's all contained and whatever, when the internet is really so open and limitless.
  19. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    AOL is garbage! It attaches itself to all kinds of files and takes over your pc. AOL "free" disc shows up in my mail weekly and it gets thrown away before I go in my house! I myself want nothing to do AOL and avoid it like the plague it is.
  20. it's like the disneyworld of the internet. self-contained and sort of creepy.