Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is There a Primer on Bass Frequencies?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Jan 12, 2004.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Like a good little soldier I did several searches, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Does a "primer" exist on this forum outlining the basics of bass frequencies? If not, would some of you contribute a beginner's primer on this subject?

I'm dialing in a new bass rig's crossover and realized my knowledge is really limited in this area.

Since I'm playing a four string Jbass and biamping a single 210 cab and a single 15 cab, I'm interested in understanding more about the bass sound spectrum and what I should be shooting for.

Thanks!:confused:

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Doc, I don't have any expert advice to offer but this deserves some response, so I'll give a fellow Beaumonter a bump back up the list.

I am thinking that since both the 2x10 cab and the 1x15 cab will have pretty wide frequency response, it will be largely a matter of taste rather than science. Avatar website says this about your 2x10:
    so crossing over at any point above that should work without leaving a 'hole' in the response. Personally, I'd probably just run both speakers full range.

Hopefully more knowledgeable voices will chime in...

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Turn your xover frequency knob and find a spot that sounds good. Most folks end up around 100hz, give or take depending on your cabs. The fundamental of Low E is 40hz, Low B is 31hz (I think), but not everybody needs to hear the fundamental. If things get too muddy remember you can roll off both the bass tone knob and the 15" channel to get the tone you want.

4. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Much appreciated!

I'll stack it all up again and roll 'em both down further to the 100 range.

I've been setting the 1-15 at 200 and the 210 to 200, but when dialing the 210 any higher (350 and up) I'm losing all my gain out of it.