Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a problem driving both channels of a 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Will it be damaging to drive both channels of my 400+ at the same time? I was thinking of using one channel as a "dirty" channel and then using the other as a "clean" and mixing to taste. What do you all think?

Thanks

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    No. I always do this, as do RockBobby, Mad Subwoofer, and many others here.

If it works for you, go for it. :)

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Sweet! Thanks for the quick response. I'll post the results.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Ok, it worked great. Very exciting for me.

Here is what I am doing; I run my P-Bass into a Morley AB box, basically the box functions as a splitter. I run the A output into channel 1 on the 400+, set at about 5 or so. The B output goes into my old grey OD 250, out of that into channel 2 of the 400+. I am still adjusting the mix and the settings on the 250. Thus far I am very happy with the results, I get the nice punchy clean sound out of channel 1 and then I can add some drive tone from the 250. Also I have a crappy Ibanez smash box that I may throw on the chain with the 250, just the ocasional buzz tone.

I can't believe I have not thought of this before. Been screwing around with a lot of ways and nothing as good as this. In fact I think I may have rendered one of my effects useless for my rig. Oh, well.

Once again thanks.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Droog. Try this with the 2 channels: All pulls out, Bass 7 Treb 7, mid 4, EQ on, but somewhat flat. Channel 1 at 4 and Ch 2 at 2ish. You should only be able to use your master at about 4 or 5 TOPS!!!

6. Hey rockbobby, I'm curious to know how these settings work in a band setting. Do you find you have enough mids seeing the mesa's mid is cut only?? But then maybe it's made up with the treble pull shift, I don't know... Is this your permanent setting?? Thanks man.

7. Rockbobmel

The mid control is the least dynamic of all. Use your descresion. I Always use this setting. I can't remember the EXACT tone settings, but roughly the above. When you pull the stops, it shifts the "Q" center of the tone circuts UP slightly so you may want to adjust the eq for a little more 40hz. I have a Thumb 5 also, and this is a real "Balls to The Wall" settting. This is not a bedroom setting.

8. Rockbobmel

I don't use any effects anymore really, They just get in the way mostly. Sometimes a chorus, but you really can't hear it with this kind of setup. Your fingers-bass-amp-spkrs ARE your effects.