1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a problem with MXR pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DwaynieAD, Nov 22, 2010.

1. more specificly the M288 octave and the M82 envelope filter.

I am new to the realm of effects on bass, but both of these pedals interest me, yet i seem to be seeing a fair amount of both up for sale on the For Sale forums here on TB

so is there something wrong with these pedals or are the bass gods just shining upon me?

2. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    I've recently acquired both, and think they both do what their supposed to do very well. The M82 is plain awesome, in my opinion. Could be just the pedals aren't being used by the people selling them, or they don't give the sound they're looking for. People love the EXH Micro Synth, and I dropped it in favor of these two pedals, because I couldn't easily get the sounds I needed from it.

3. Nope, nothing wrong. Both are excellent effects that I'd recommend. The reason you see them up for sale a lot on TB is because they're new pedals and they're very popular right now so a lot of people (on TB) are buying them. Not everyone is going to like what they do so some will be sold off. Just the usual TB trend/flavor of the month.

That being said, the Octaver has been the best tracking analog octaver I've used, including the EBS Octabass. The Filter is really bright and is a little tough to dial in exactly but has some very good sounds in it. Try them both and see what you think.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The MXR Octave pedal is one of the best, and most versatile available.

5. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Concur. ALL are great pedals. I'm selling one, sold the other. Oddly I KEPT the Micro Synth in favor of all those.

Just a matter of taste and also that many of us have severe GAS and often buy and sell like stocks.

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    MXR's Bass Octave Deluxe and Bass Envelope Filter are pretty popular pedals. Pedals that are talked up more gain the interest of more people. As more people are interested in the pedals more people buy the pedals. As more people buy the pedals more pedals are either kept on the pedalboard, returned, or placed in the used market.

Nothing is wrong with the pedals, they're just popular.

7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    i bought and sold more envelope pedals than anything else by a long shot. i feel like thats one effect that people search for. they can all sound so different, and its not good or bad, but its caused me to constantly try out new envelope pedals, especially the last three years.

that said, ive never used the mxr, but the clips sound good, people seem to like it, and mxr stuff always seem like its built tough (and small). in the future id definitely pick one up used if the price was right (still hunting for the perfect envelope filter sound...).

8. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Yeah, there's a problem...they keep coming up with too much cool stuff. :D
    :bassist:

9. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nothing wrong with MXR. You can pay more for another brand. Or you could use MXR. :)

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    It's a cyclical thing. A pedal or pedals become popular on here, and people start touting its merits. Due to these reviews, everyone buys them or asks for them as gifts whether they need them or not. This spawns another round of reviews, sometimes with mixed results. Then the fallout happens and you start seeing many of them for sale on eBay/Craigslist/Forums.

The trick is, just wait til the fallout and score a pedal on the cheap. ;)

11. Thank you everyone.