1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a really a good 112 for metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XtraLongScale, Apr 25, 2006.

1. I'm looking to put a mini rig together around my GK 800RB. For the highs, I'm thinking about using a 2x8 or 110 and I want to use a 112 for the lows/mids. I play various styles, but most of the time, it's hard rock/metal/nu metal. Is there really a 112 cab that can handle the low B at high volumes? My ceiling's around $500, so I'll most likely go used if I'm looking at Epi, Berg, EA and the like. Any input would be really helpful. Thanks...

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The first cab that comes to mind is the Epifani T-112 (NYC-112). I have two of these, and they put out a strong low B, and are generally huge on the low end. A bit mid-scooped, though. The highs are nice and bright. They can handle a low of power. The UL-112 seems to be slightly leaner in the lows and slightly more present in the upper mids - probably more balanced overall. But I have not gigged with the UL-112.

Other great 1x12's which I think could do metal fairly well are the Berg HT112, Glock Space Deluxe, or EA CxL-112 (with some EQing). The Wizzy might do well, too, but being a 4 ohm cab, it might be hard to mix and match. Low Down Sound builds some nice 1x12's, too, so I wouldn't hesitate to talk to them as well.

Tom.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You could probably get a used Schroeder1212R for just a little more than that.... if you are playing very loud, a single 12, even a good one like a Wizzy or Epi, is not going to get you anywhere near the volume and low end you will need IMO. Ths 1212 is just a little larger than a typical 112 and just loud as the bejeebers.... with a voicing that works very well in a rock setting if you put enough power into it. You would not need anything on the high end IMO, since the 1212 has a tweeter and is full range. '

Just an idea.

K

4. tombowlus: the Epi T-112 & Berg HT112 seemed right up my alley until I got to the impedance issue ("why no 4 ohm 12s ?" is my common lament). Sorry for not mentioning impedance before. LDS seems to be the next logical route for me, especially price-wise. Looking at the cabs on their site, I get the impression that they really care about making their cabs spot on for their customers. Thanks alot, Tom.

KJung: The thought of using only a Schro 1212R is really intriguing, but I think I'm gonna stick with the concept of a 112(4 ohm) + hi frequency 8 ohm (I'd really kill for a Trace Brite Box) enclosure. I just don't want to neglect the hi freq amp even though it's really common for most 800RB users to leave it alone. I realize that a 112 isn't the most practical choice for high volume music (my main rig uses 2x10 & 2x12 cabs which is surprisingly really substantial), but I was just wondering if there was that one standout 112 sub that existed. Maybe I should look at a compact 15, but I see those about as frequently as I see a Brite Box

I know the subject of 112s has been beaten to death on this forum, but after some reasonably extensive searching, I didn't find much info for my specific application. Thanks for bearing with me, TB'ers.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, then you might want to consider the Wizzy, then, being a full sounding 4 ohm box.

Also, keep in mind that LDS could build you a compact, 4 ohm 1x15 as well, and I have also talked to Don about building something akin to the Trace Elliot Bright Box. He certainly could do just that. So, keep that in mind!

Tom.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That's a tough one. If you are doing the biamp thing, you will need a 112 4ohm and some sort of 8ohm 'mid treble' speaker. As Tom mentioned ,the Wizzy is a great cab, but it just doesn't seem to have the ooomph you would need for the type of music you describe.... and that's not baggin' on the Wizzy... I don't think any 112 does.

I think the LDS thing might make sense. Don could build you a high powered 4 ohm 112 that's voiced more as a sub-woofer, using a 'long throw' high powered 12. And then, Maybe a 2x8 with tweeter box that is the same width and depth as the 112 for stacking. Don makes some cool stuff, and loves to experiment. I'm sure he could find a good quality, high powered 4ohm 112 for you, and then build a nice 'top' for your high end.

He could even build it in one cab... with the 112 in a ported section and the 2x8 and tweeter in a sealed section... maybe the 8"s being neo to cut down on weight. He could wire the cab to be biamped.... OK, I'm getting excited about this now. That would be an awesome cab. He just built a similar concept cab with 6x8's.... four long throw 8's in a ported section and two 'full range' 8's and a tweeter in a sealed section... it sounds awesome.

I may have to buy a GK800 now:hyper:

7. Whoa, that ported 112/sealed 2x8 (& maybe a 5" speaker instead of the tweet) in one sounds like the winner to me. Actually, I'm planning on running the GK full range, but having the option to biamp would be nice too. I'm sure the dimensions would remain hella portable. That's a truly killer idea, bro. Thanks much. Time to go sell some gear then call Don @ LDS. I'm really dying to hear what that would sound like. If I really whip this together, pics are promised, for sure. Thanks again, Tom & KJung.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If the LDS thing does not work out (I am sure it will though) you should add Aguilar to the list. They have good lows to my ears.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Another vote for the Epifani T-112 NYC. And I vote that you start mowing lawns and get a second T-112. Or (ideally) dump the GK in favor of a Mesa 400+.

That said, this conversation is fairly pointless until you state what kind of volume levels you're competing against.

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    The Epi-112s (UL and NYC) are both fantastic cabs as stand alones for any kind of music IME, but for really loud stuff you're gonna need another cab. I doubt you'll find a 1x anything that'll support super loud volumes and keep its low end heft and punch in tact.

11. Lawns? No. Mesa? No. The GK is a restoration/labor of love which was beaten to a pulp when I got it and I see myself using it in a backup/other capacity for some time to come. After the electronics were restored, I used the head's 300w section with an Avatar B212 Neo between my two guitarist's 1/2 stacks (Mesa Dual Recto & a Peavey 5150) at rehearsal and was seriously impressed at how effortlessly it held it's own. It's got a sound I've heard from no other head I've owned or tried so the head stays. I just want a portable small stature rig that'll still bring out it's best.