Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a really fat sounding Jazz type pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in my bass. While goofing around with those Franken basses (headless with headstocks,) I decided to A/B with against my personal bass.
    The goofy basses actually have a thicker tone and a more even string response. They lack some mids, but after the comparison, I was disappointed with the Dimarzios. I want a thick tone for my Jazz!

2. First, a complete setup is in order. Including pickup height.
    Next, try different strings.

I find it hard to imagine the Ultra Jazz to be disappointing. The Model J are probably a bit fatter in the mids than the Ultra, but this is only speculation on my part.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I use Rotosound Swingbass strings. The others-who knows what they have. Pickup height on the J is "medium."

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my Benavente 51 fretted 5 (the white one) is loaded with Dimarzio Ultras... nice and fat tone IMO.

I generally string with SIT Powerflats... but no lack of booty when I had D'Addario Prisms on it.

5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    +1 for DiMarzio J :bassist:

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I have UltraJazzes, and I have to say in my bass (SX Jazz w/Badass bridge and flatwounds) they sound HUGE. Generally the UltraJazzes are considered some of the fatter-sounding jazz pups, so I'd be inclined to wonder if there isn't some other problem (strings, setup, pickup height, phase problems).

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've always found UJ's to sound fat on the low end, sometimes a bit scooped in the mids but never low end shy.
    Sadowsky Hum Cancelling, SD Antiquity II and Aero single coil also sound nice and fat.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Assuming that you're talking about tones played to the music you play (pretty solo tones rarely work well to music) and that your other basses have J pups, I'd swap the pups out between the basses and see what you think - since you already have them and a swap's not a major ordeal. You're probably not going to be satisfied after this awareness and you could really go into some lengthy grief pup searching when you may already have what you want.

Among, other things, it could be the pups in the other basses are just more suited to those basses and the Ultra's are a mismatched for the bass they're in. Not to mention you can find out a whole array of things I won't go into by doing such a swap.

The same set of pups can be very ordinary in one bass but quite exceptional in another.

Personally, a swap is what I'd do first.

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Dropped it off at another location. Before I left, we A/B'd with several basses. Even the Mexican Jazzes were kickin' it's butt. I'll know in a few days what's up.

10. cram1960

cram1960

Dec 24, 2004
    Got my Standard Jazz V onn Monday, and did the mod today...I like the big growly sound. The best thing though is having the trad. jazz sounds and then adding this mod (push-pull). The bass looks the same, but has an extra gear.

Thanks much!

Now I'll go looking for tone cap mod ideas :)

Craig Ramseur