Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a reason that...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Feb 7, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    bands leave their gear on while they aren't playing? I see all the time that bands will leave their gear on while the bands that play before them are performing. Is this just to warm up the tubes? Does this do anything for SS amps? Am I the only one who has seen this? Thanks and God bless! -Brad

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I leave mine on to keep the tubes warm when I use my YBA200 or 400+ at practice just because it's easier on them to keep them running, in my opinion. But when I gig with my SS gear I leave it on simply because if it doesn't come back on I'm screwed. One less thing to go wrong you know? If it's on and stays on you don't have to worry about the power switch going out on you during a gig because you didn't turn it off. Simple safety my good man.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I leave all the gear in my rack on after soundcheck, straight through til the end of the night. I always hit the mute button on the preamp before exiting the stage, though. No need to keep powering the gear up and down. Powerups are typically one of the most stressful times for electronic components.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Good call, I've never actually thought about my gear just not turning on. Thanks and God bless.

5. 1. Yes, tubes generally take a couple minutes to warm up, might as well leave the amp on so you don't have to wait to hit the standby switch when you get on stage.

2. The soundtech is generally taking a D.I. out of the back of my preamp. I don't want to send him a jolt by powering down my preamp with his gear plugged into it. He probably should have it muted regardless, but you never know. This means everything else in my signal chain before the preamp also stays powered on for the same reason.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    yep, i leave my stuff on throughout my church service because of my tubes........had some tubes go bad on me at random times, so i dont want to be careless anymore......troubleshooting preamp and power tubes with only spare preamp tubes was pretty stressful this sunday morning....hehe