1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a replacement pickup for P bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Is there a common replacement pickup for the P bass MIA or MIM that is just hands down way better than what comes standard in US or MIM Precisions? Like the quarter pounder - I've heard about this - I'm looking for that "Subjective or not, this XYZ pickup blows away Fender's standard P bass pickup it uses on its USA and MIM standard Precisions."

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I like EMGs, but im not sure if i like them because of the sound, or the fact that they dont have exposed pole pieces:D

but i have to say, most pickups are subjective. However there maybe be some of those vintage style fenders or custom shop fenders or noiseless fenders for Ps, as ive seen them for jazz

3. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I've used the Basslines 1/4lb P before and it's quite nice. Then again, it went into a crap plywood B.C. Rich, not a Fender, so this probably won't help much!

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes, a Fralin

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Sure a G&L MFD split-coil . . .

But it's all mangoes and avocadoes, horses for courses, you say tomato - I say tomahto stuff . . .

What P sound are you going for? Jamerson thump? 70s grind? Prestia finger-funk?

Do you really think the TB-collective would universally agree on anything as subjective as tone?

6. The Nordstrand's always get good press.

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Let's just say there are a ton of P-Bass replacement pickups out there that sound different than the standard Fender pickups.

Pretty much any of them are better sounding than the MIM version but you need to know type of tone you want to achieve before going shopping. Some pickups have more mids, some are more scooped and some have more highs or more lows. Output level is also all over the map. It's just a matter of what you feel you need.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The stock MIA really is a very nice pickup, with great balance of tone if you're going for that big roundwound sound. Seymour Duncan makes nice pickups, but they aren't so much "better" as "different". Hot for P, Quarter Pounder, and Antiquity are all great pickups. EMGs are good. Lots of people like the fralins. If you want more of an old school sound you could get the Fender American Vintage pickup that they use on the reissue. Its really good.

The only think I don't like about the stock pickup is that it has exposed polepieces, I prefer flush since I like to pluck right on top of the pickup.

There are lots of good P pickups out there if you just want to try something different. But the stock one is great too.

I'm not sure about the MIM.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    +1

If you want something other that a really warm vintage P Bass tone, there are lots of pups out there...