1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a show you have never seen because you already knew it sucked?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I feel that way about "Men at work." Just not interested.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    Most shows.

I'm very good at determining what I will most likely enjoy, so when I see a preview of a show/movie, I automatically will know if it'll suck (for me).

It happens very rarely, but I can be surprised. For instance, I was dead wrong about Anchorman. Was sort of forced to watch it and laughed 'til I cried. It looked terrible in previews.

TV sucks, generally-speaking.

3. That pretty much sums up how I feel about TV in general.

4. Do you mean TV shows or movies? Either way I generally dislike either/both if made in the last 20-30 years. I have bitten clean through my tongue dozens of times as friends tell me how much I'd LOVE Forrest Gump or w/e.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Most all the shows on ABC, NBC, and CBS would fit that category for me.

-Mike

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    As well as most movies.
    If I see advertisements for something, I can usually accurately judge how well received it will be by me.
    I cant account for the tastes of other, but I generally know what I like.
    Though, there have been a few occasions where Ive been surprised.
    Most shows that I like Ive stumbled upon on TV, and was drawn in within a few minutes of viewing.

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I never presume to know what someone else will like, unless I know that person very well.

8. Well as far as I can recall, you have reccommended very little to me, so there you go. :)

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Avatar. Let me guess: Humans find planet we can exploit for resources, some people take an interest in the inhabitants, resource mongers and inhabitant sympathizers bicker, strained love story, not one but two gratuitous sex scenes, hit or miss dialogue, three or four holes in the plot, James Cameron's name in really big letters.

I watched Thor last night but only because I couldn't sleep. I hate **** like that. The Avengers was disappointing. I had mixed feelings from when I first heard about it because on the one hand, it's a superhero franchise but on the other, it's Joss Whedon. In the end, I thought it was just another superhero movie. Whedon made a lot of stupid mistakes, IMO.

I'm watching 8 1/2 tonight and that'll be good. It might get bumped to tomorrow, though, because I have an early morning tomorrow and (probably) a late night tonight.

To end on a positive note, I LOVED the first three seasons of Breaking Bad. Halfway into the first ep. I was saying to myself, 'ZOMG, I had no idea TV could be this good!' The writers lost me after season three though. They took the story too far, IMO, and I could never get into season four. But the first three are bomb.

Also, Showtime's Homeland kills.

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    :D

On occasion, I'll make recommendations based on what I like, but that is usually to presumed when one posts in a "recommend me a movie/book/show" or "what is your favorite movie/book/show" type thread.

11. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Any movie that stars a pro wrestler or a pop diva.

12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Top Gear, although getting really close to running it's course ( there really is only so much you can do after 18 years ) has had some of the best comedic bits on TV for a while. That it's informative and caters to the "petrol-head" in me makes for a perfect storm. It's exceedingly well produced and shot.

TV gets real thin for me after that. The Sing Off is a great competition series. I've watched all 3 seasons and loved every minute of it. Unlike "Idol" they have gotten it right every year so far. Google Pentatonix Let's Get It On and you'll see what I'm getting on about.

13. Disney's Pocahontas with blue Injuns.

[​IMG]

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Back when I still watched TV any 'reality' show was a dial-twister for me.

15. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    It would be easier to name something I didn't already think would suck before I did or didn't see it. ;)

One time I was at work with this guy we hired for the summer and he was talking about some movie - I can't remember what it was. It went basically like this:

Him: "Man, I went an saw _____ this weekend and it kinda sucked. I was looking forward to seeing it, but it was really a disappointment....

Me: "Hmm. I wasn't even going to bother. It looked like it was going to suck by the previews."

Him: "Damn! :eek: I wish I had that kind of discretion!".....:atoz:

(He really did make an "Atoz face")

However, my roommate brought home a copy of Chop and I watched the opening scenes thinking it was about to start sucking, but it wound up being a lot of fun to watch! The ending was perfect for a ridiculous horror/comedy.

16. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Any of those stupid cooking competition shows!

And that new motorcycle "gang" show on right after the crab fishermen. It's called The Laughing devils or something like that.
    A friend saw it and said that it is even a bigger piece of crap than the New Jersey Shores show.

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    One of the most fun times I had as a teenager was going to an all night B-grade horror movie screening at a local cinema. The movies were awful but the wisecracking audience was great!

18. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    My roomie, girlfriend, and I watched Piranha 3DD the other night and we didn't even have to make wisecracks. Of course that movie was meant to be that stupid and ridiculous, so for once in a long time, I actually enjoyed a terrible movie. It could only have been [DEL]worse[/DEL] better if Charlie Sheen had a role in it.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I thought this whole time you were an alright guy. Not so much anymore. I happen to like those shows, quite a bit.

:D

-Mike

20. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Starship Troopers is so bad, it's actually pretty good. You're forced to stop caring and just accept it as it is.