1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a software that does this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Apr 7, 2009.

1. A friend of mine is a youth pastor, and he wants to integrate snippets of Podcasts into his sermons. He asked me if i could find him a software that would allow him to just pop a CD into his computer and record the audio that is playing thru the speakers onto the disc, and if possible, record video onto DVDs as well. (That probably won't be easy though...)
    I think that his best bet is to get a tape deck with a CD recorder, but he wants to do this from his laptop.

Is anyone aware of any software that does what he described?
    His computer skills are a bit limited, so ease of use is also a factor.
    Ideally, he wants something simple with a minimal learning curve.

2. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Realtime burning of audio would not be advised IMO. Now, if he wants to record the audio as it plays to his hard drive, that's a different story. I use Audicity, which is free -
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Now, recording it to a disc for playback in any audio disc player is another story. He'll need burning software of some kind. Off the top of my head I don't know of any freeware. I use Nero, Ashampoo Burning Studio, DeepBurner.

For the DVD part of this, highly unlikely. Recording a video onto DVD is a lot more complex than recording audio.

3. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Yep. Audacity+CD burner. Almost every half new PC got a burner and software.

4. I usually record some of the stuff for him with SONAR in my home studio, so I know that he is not up for doing anything of the sort, because it's too involved of a process. He wants something simple and easy to use.

I have one of those USB turntables, and it came with a software very similar to what he is looking for.
    You hook up the turntable and start it playing, and the software records it all, then you just save the files and burn them to a CD afterward.
    The software is extremely straightforward and easy to use, so i figure that if you took something that would record from a selectable audio source (whatever source feeds the speakers...) rather than a USB device, that should be exactly the thing he is looking for.
    It doesn't have to burn in realtime. If it just saves a file that he burns to a CD, that would be good as well.

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Something like StationRipper might fit the bill here.

ImgBurn is excellent free software for all CD and DVD burning needs.

6. Thanks for the good words, guys - I just added ImgBurn to my office computer and used it to transfer some files to DVD. Very handy and easy to figure out.

7. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    That's pretty much what I do with audacity, except you need another program to burn. It's writes the file in real time, choose to export / save it as .wav and use program of your choice for burning cda. I do it all the time from youtube, online radio stations, etc.

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Wiretap is as KISS as can be. A stop and a record button.

Can he use iTunes to burn?

9. I will have to ask him, but iTunes is pretty easy to use, so i would be tempted to say yes.