1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is there a standard gap between frets and strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tonedeaf99, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tonedeaf99

tonedeaf99

Jul 3, 2007
    hi newbie here.. i just want to know if there is a standard gap between fret and strings.. i adjusted my strings because its too low, i made it a bit higher and i don't know if did it correctly. thanks!:confused:

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    String height is a personal preference but a lot of people set the height as low as they can without getting fretbuzz

3. tonedeaf99

tonedeaf99

Jul 3, 2007
    :bassist:
    tnx dude!

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Depends. With a decent fretjob, I find I can get my action down to 1.5mm on all my basses. It is VERY low there. I get no buzz per se, but if I play too hard, the notes will "choke". This is not the same as playing hard to get that Geddy Lee/Stanley Clarke "fart" thing. This is just dead notes. Raising the strings up above 2mm seems to do it for me, while still feeling plenty low. On my basses, this measure is really only on the G and D strings, with the A slightly higher, and the E and B higher still. In fact, my A, E, and B saddles are almost at the same height, with the fingerboard's radius causing the height of the E and B strings to be higher, if that makes sense.

Lee

5. tonedeaf99

tonedeaf99

Jul 3, 2007

Ei thanks dude, that is pretty low, do you use a pick? I can also play when the strings are low, if i use a pick.
    But if i use my fingers, all i hear are the slapping of the frets and strings. Is there something wrong with my finger playing?

6. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    That is the strings hitting the frets , you may be playing too agressively , try playing closer to the bridge where the strings are tighter , this should help, also try and dig in and avoid bouncing your fingers on the strings