Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is there a string that can allow me to get that mellow jazz sound and still rock?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Sep 25, 2000.

1. hey, I've been playing on a fretless yamaha for about 5 months now, with the roundwounds it came with, but I've been thinking about switching to flatwounds, or groundwounds, or tapewounds, or something. mostly I play things like Rush, the Police, and some jazz, but I've heard that flatwounds can give you a sound more like an upright bass. is there a string type that can allow me to get that mellow jazz sound without sacrificing my bright rock sound? thanks.

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Maybe GHS Brightflats will work, but I've never used them. I like the Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats. I play some jazz stuff, motown, james brown, and some rock. But forget about slapping with these strings....
    my .04 cents

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm with Cornbread..Thoms Jazz Flats are the ticket. I play in a pretty high energy Blues / R&B band and they are great for my music. As for Jazz on an electric Bass.. you won't find a better string.