Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a sub-$1000 bass king?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alacritan, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I'm a guitarist, and I use a Reverend Hellhound 40/60 combo. It's widely regarded as the best tube amp for under 1000 dollars. Now that I'm thinking of playing bass, is there a King of Cheap Basses? I'm looking in the 500-800 range for a Tool/Soundgarden type sound. Any suggestions? Include any mods ie bass/pickup combos you think are good, since it seems every last stock pickup on earth sucks balls.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No, and I'll tell you a major reason why;

- because the bass market is so much smaller than the guitar market, incredibly wonderful tonewoods are offered to bassists because the smaller demand of the bass market means that the bass makers don't limit your choices to woods that are always plentiful and relatively cheap. As a matter of fact, we bassists compete with gunstock makers for the finest woods. The guitar market is too large to offer exotic tonewoods that are in limited supply for fear they will irritate their potential customers.

Moreover, it seems like guitar pickup choices are limtied to Strat or Les Paul variations to the point of absolute boredom. Not so with basses. At the risk of seeming self-adulatory, we bassists like "frontiers" not "fences." If you don't believe that, I can cite some quotes from big name makers that back that up. Or, call Larry Pollack at Aero Pickups and he'll tell you the big differences he has experienced between bassists and guitarists.

So, I don't consider we bassists "better" than guitarist, we are just more open to discovery than legacy, IMO.

3. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I'm just looking for opinions on the best bass or bass/pickup combo for under 1000. What's widely regarded as the best in the price range. I hadn't noticed that I put any bassist insults in there. It must have slipped out if I did. So does anyone have a suggestion?

4. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    If you want to be so damn picky, and withhold any suggestions, if you do actually have any, the price range I'm looking at is 500-1000, and since from what I can tell, no one should start with a fretless as their first bass, fretted IS the preference. And I mentioned pickups, in case anyone had any suggestions in regards to them as well.

5. you seem to be familiar with Reverend already. but i'll go ahead and suggest the rumblefish anyway. you won't need any mods.

6. rickbass

I didn't say you did by any means. If you find something insulting in my post, that's just your perception. Could it be a "guitarist" thing? ;)

All I was saying is that the bass world is so much more complicated, because, for one, the bass market isn't served so well because of it's relatively smaller sales significance, and two, because the frequencies we deal in are harder for the human ear to perceive. Plus, any experienced bassist knows there is no "best." It's all about "need" and "taste.

Try a Lakland Skyline. For the price, it should blow the others out of the box.

7. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    Can I get a Tool/Soundgarden type sound out of it? I had to buy a Zoom TriMetal for my Hellhound to get anything heavier than Zeppelin/Sabbath out of it.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dude, relax a little bit, OK? You'll live longer. You blow in here with what comes off, intentionally or not, as a bit of a 'tude, and without knowing anything about any of the people here, you jump to the conclusion that they're trying to yank your chain. They're not. This is the way this forum is, and since you're coming into a new (to you) place, why not try to get a handle on the vibe before flying off your own handle?

To address your question (see, we do help here), no, there's no King of Cheap Bass. (I don't think there's a King of Cheap Guitar, either, but that's another story.) I'd recommend MTD Kingston in particular, as well as Carvin and Peavey Millennium, maybe Fender American. Used, you have a lot of choices, including Peavey Cirrus, which a lot of guys here like a lot. I forget what Czech-made Spectors cost, but a lot of folks seem to dig them. G & L has its fans too.

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Fender J bass - or Geddy Lee model with a J-retro upgrade should be in the 800 range. Also the p bass models including the p bass specials and deluxe models. All very good basses as is or can be modified all in the 800 range.

10. rickbass

Okay, a Zoom .......that's tells me all I need to know about the commitment to tone.

I thought we were talking "bone tone" not "Pop Tarts" for dinner ;)

11. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    You see why I get pissed? This dickhead ripping on my distortion pedal hasn't given me a real answer yet, despite his numerous replies.

12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC

:eek:

general rule of thumb, its not nice to call people trying to help you "dickhead".....

and he has answered your question, numerous times in both threads...

13. It seems to me that you're getting uppity because you arent getting an exact answer. However, as you are new to bass, you probably dont know that an exact answer doesnt exist. Nailing the Justin Chancellor sound can only be done by Justin Chancellor. You could get his same amp setup (which you would probably need) , all his effects, and a Wal bass, but you still might not get that tone, as more goes into tone than a brand name, you would have to get it custom made to your (his) exact specifications. Also, many things are done in the studio to alter tone. I would suggest forgetting about Justin's sound and just trying out a bunch of different basses until you find your sound.

PS: If it turned out that you didnt know that Justin wasnt the first Tool bassist, and you like the sound on Opiate and Undertow, that is a Rickenbacker, which you can afford, unlike the Wal, which you cant.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How do you figure? He answered your original question, in the negative, and then he suggested a Lakland Skyline. Those are answers. You don't have to like them, but they're "real" answers.

BTW, have you done a search? If not, go do one now, and you'll find tons of threads on this very same very common topic. Then, if you have specific questions, ask them, and you'll likely get help. That is, if you think you can refrain from calling people dickheads.

15. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    Alright, seapickle, I'll give you that, there isn't an exact answer, but I was asking for suggestions, and I'm not looking for the exact sound of Tool either, that would be stupid, and should be obvious to this ******* who continues to give me dumbass non-answers. I'm looking for suggestions, realistic ones. I'd like to get suggestions for a bass in the 500-1000 range, than I can play tool type music with. I've looked at the Rickenbackers, which I didn't know were used for Undertow and Opiate. What do you think of them?

16. Actually, he, and everyone else, gave you many answers, many times. Good ones. Get the Rickenbacker. You will acheive the exact tone you desire. It is superior to all other basses. Run along now, go and buy your Rickenbacker, go ahead, buy your bass based on what people who you dont know say. Run along.

17. rickbass

Boy! You know it's getting bad when someone interalizes their ego with one of the junkiest pedals on the market! Have you checked out that Danelectro Pastrami and Chesse?!?!

If you can't fathom my replies, Ala, there is nothing I can do. I'm just used to dealing with bassists I guess.

18. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater

dude, its cheaperthan that, grab a gun and steal justin one of his basses, im sure youll find that tool sound.......

19. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    justin played stingrays before he played wals, and you can probably afford a stingray for just about a grand, and well under if you go used.

quick summary

1. Rickenabacker
    2. Stingray
    3. Fender mexian jazz bass
    4. try to be nice

20. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    This is one of the reasons I am not a contributing member here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.