1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a such thing as an active made in Mexico Fender PJ bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So after buying a second bass a month or so ago (Precision), I fell in love with P Basses and I haven't touched my Jazz Bass since. I've always had minor complaints about my Jazz, and often wish I bought a Precision. Now that I have both, my Jazz is just collecting dust. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a PJ bass so I at least have some the versatily that the Jazz would give me

Philibuster likes this.
  2. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Indeed they do.

I love PJs. I own two (Am Elite and a 60s Hot Rod) and am always on the hunt for another.

3. Yes.

IMG_0330_zpsf634b5cd.

ruju and jd56hawk like this.
  4. To me, that MIM Active Precision Bass Special, at $799 list, is one of the best bargains in Fender's catalog. With the proviso that you want the Jazz neck on a P Body, the hardware, electronics (active / passive switch !), construction (even the rounded heel and truss rod access at the head end) and finish are a steal at that price. Plus . . . . . everything is already pre-drilled / routed (4 control holes, side jack, P and J routs) to where dropping anything aftermarket into it is a breeze, and keys / tuners are plenty good enough already. And personally, I'm tickled they skipped the dopey metal pickguard.

Get one now, because I'm sure this model is just so right that Fender will be driven to discontinue it first chance they get . . . . . .

FingerDub likes this.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The OP should be aware that they changed the neck specs on the current crop of Deluxe P-Bass Specials. They still have Jazz necks, but nowadays, they're much, much flatter. But without more details from him, there's no telling if that will even matter to him or not. Beyond all that, P/J's rock! :thumbsup:

@Sean775; What is it about the Precision that has so enchanted you? The sound? The feel? Both? What is it about your Jazz that is lacking? Would you be willing to modify either your Jazz or your Precision to get closer to the sound you're chasing?

6. Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I like the well-rounded sound of the P Bass, and I've always had some complaints about how the action on my Jazz felt, despite having it professionally set up at by a highly touted tech.
    Plus, I really only play my Jazz Bass now if I'm playing Red Hot Chili Pepper stuff, which isn't too often

7. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

That is what this is:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-deluxe-p-bass-special-4-string-bass#productDetail
    It is active and passive and made in Mexico

8. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Sadly they come with those tiny jazz necks

9. Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So how do the eq knobs work on that? Are they more like a Jazz bass, or more like a Musicman?

10. Fender's explanation is sort of incomplete, and it's been a while since I auditioned one of these, but IIRC, from top to bottom:

Master Volume
    Pan (blend control between the P and the J)
    Stacked bass and mids (the bottom one is bass boost or cut, the stacked smaller knob on top is mids boost or cut)
    Treble boost and cut
    . . . . and the little switch: On (all of the above works), and then Off (only the MV, Pan, and the treble knob works conventionally like on a regular Precision)

Anybody that's more familiar with this, did I get it right?