1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a SX of amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heb9_28, Sep 17, 2010.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    This is just kind of a random thought but I was wondering if there's some sort of no name, inexpensive, but its a lot more economical to build and ship a bass inexpensively than an amp. Just wondering if theres anything out there I'm missing.

I am aware of Behringer, but wondering if there's anything else out there.

fwiw.

2. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm a GK guy, and they can be had for about $1/watt or less. Hartke seems to be the current go to in this category. You can get a 500 watt head for approx $300. Not sure it's the exact same thing as SX, but I think I get what you are asking.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    For cabs, probably Avatar. As far as heads go, I guess i'd have to agree with Hartke, maybe Peavey. I think the best value out there are used GK heads. You can get a GK700RBII for $300 or, sometimes lower. Amazing for the sound they put out. I like mine AT LEAST as much as I liked my Aguilar AG500, for more than half the price used.
    Edit: Maybe the GC Acoustic brand???

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Carvin and Traynor might squeeze into that category too.

5. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Chinese-made knockoffs of well-known stuff that can be made decent quality for a lot less than you'd shell out for the original (even though you'd still be promoting sweatshop labor) = Bugera.

/thread.

6. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I would have to say Acoustic.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What? :rollno:

Doesn't matter. If you have a local store. Then you should buy from them. GC has Acoustic, and word is they support them well.

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    For $499 the Line6 Lowdown HD750 can be bought. I have it has a backup right now . It is worth looking into...............:cool:

9. This is actually a pretty interesting question.
    The rig has to be an outstanding value and reliable.
    That leaves out Behringer.

Peavey? Tranor?
    For USA made, Carvin!

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

+1 for the Hartke LH series.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Bugera makes amps in Italy.

Great bang for the buck, especially for guitar. If I'm going to get a budget vintage style tube rig it's going to probably be a Bugera

Otherwise, it's a homemade cab for a walkabout for this guy.

12. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    GK's Chinese stuff.

13. Bugera makes amps in the same factory as the other brand being sold by the company: Behringer.

It's not in Italy.

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :rollno:

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I don't believe there is such an animal. Hartkes, GK and Acoustics are more analogous to MIM Jazzes, low end Schecters and low end Ibanezs. Behringer was in the running, but rep was trashed and now gotta try to 'sneak' in. For an amp to be the SX of Amps, We'd need a 250 watt combo with 2x10, that you would actually be able to do a small gig with, for less than $250. IMO.

Remember, SX's are cheap even for cheap basses.

16. Big fat +1 for the Hartke LH500. Got mine for $349, no tax and free shipping. EH 12AX7 Tube preamp and the Hartke "bark" for a sick price.

Got to rule against Traynor, but not for lack of quality. Had a YBA-200-2 and didn't have to sell blood to buy it. But if we are going cheap and reliable, they are only halfway there. I don't know that I would consider prices on new Traynor gear a steal.

Haven't had a reason to try Bugera, especially knowing that they are coming out of the same plant as Behringer. I do like my Bass V-Amp Pro, but I am using a Crown XLS to push that.

I had the complete Acoustic B200H/ B410/ B115 stack as a back-up for a while. Never a moments trouble. By no means versatile as far as tone is concerned, but that's what pre-amps are for. They stand behind their product, and you can get a two cabinet stack for a song!!

Carvin BX500...500watts @ 4ohms. 12AX7 tube preamp. $399 Factory Direct. Sounds like a deal for made in USA. But, I have read a few threads where these have had to be sent back or replaced. Save the $50 and buy the LH500.

But, as Ibanks said, this is still not in SX territory. I think you'd be more likely to find the SX of speaker cabinets, but maybe not the SX of amps.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1 I don't think there is anything to compare it to.

18. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Agree.

I just wanted to pose the question, see if there was something I was missing out on.

(The new Carvin combos seem pretty awesome for the price)

19. I don't think you can get the same reliability from wood & strings compared with electronics....not really the same ballpark...or league. Heck, not even the same sport!

But if you're looking for something that's pretty reliable, has an excellent warranty, costs less than most and sounds good, then Carvin would be the first to come to my mind.

20. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    +1 to Acoustic. Sounds fantastic, but they're around the same price as Behringer and the like. They're not worlds cheaper like SX, but they do sound better than most competitors.

IMO of course.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021