Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a Talkbass for Guitars? Gibson?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rojo412, Dec 26, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Pardon my French, but does anyone know if any sort of site exists that is like TalkBass, but regarding guitars? Maybe one that deals with Gibsons specifically?

I ask because I need info and whatnot on my dad's guitar... a 1982 Gibson Firebird that's Active. Little help?

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    wow..
    nice guitar rojo.. =D
    what color is it?!?!
    you might wanna try Yahoo groups, they wontbe like talkbass but hell, what is like talkbass?? i love it here!!

3. What type of info? Many people here are guitar enthusiasts in general, someone may be able to help right here.

:D:D

Merls

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    There are some biking sites that remble the atmosphere in here.

It's a Tobacco burst over a flamey maple that sorta looks like mahogany? See, this is why I have to ask!

The info I want is like: How many were made? Why is it active? How much were they new? Are they worth money? Stuff like that.

5. Nope that went way over my head.....

what do u want to know?

:D:D

Merls

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Merls, you're a trip.
    :D:D:D

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No, Talkbass is for bass.

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Funnily enough, my brother asked and searched for a guitar forum with the same views as TB, as did a local drummer. None of them found anything, could be bad luck, or maybe its just that drummers and guitarists can't form a forum pleasantly like this ;)

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey, Rojo, give me a little more info.
    How many pups? 2 or 3 hums? OR does his have the single coils? Reverse headstock? Bound fingerboard? Vibrato or stop tailpiece?

OR you could take a pic and e-mail Gibson, but I'd like to help if I can.

I like the way Merls said "guitar enthusiasts in general";)

10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Here's a pic:

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    here's a closeup of the body

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    [​IMG]

I'll give your dad $5.00 for it.. he of course will have to pay shipping fees.. but I will take it off his hands and sell it at only a slight profit.. it is just a guitar after all :D

13. Alyn

Alyn

Dec 19, 2002
    I know of a world like the one you speak of! I was there for a long long time, it goes by the address of http://www.jag-stang.com it's mostly fender related but the guys there will look up anything for ya if they don't know it and there's a lot of gibson enthusiasts there. They're pretty much guaranteed to know what you want, have fun man.

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Does it say ARTIST anywhere on the headstock? IF it does, it's from the same series as LP, ES, RD and Victory Artists. These were made from '79 to '81, in small numbers (less than 200 of each), and their prices have shot up in last year or so like crazy.

Electronics were done by Moog, and are pretty amazing, even compared to what's available today. These were Gibson's top-of-the-line models at the time.

For example, I got my LP Artist less than 3 years ago for $800. Seen them on gbase.com recently at $3400. RD Artists used to be around $350 year and a half ago. Now they are usually fetching over $800. No idea on your specific model though, but if it part of Artist series, it's even more rare than the others.

15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've gone through the whole "Uh... that's an RD Artist" shpeel. Well, it's NOT! It's got a Firebird on the PG, a 1982 Serial #. I bet it was based on the RD artist, but is not one.
    Anything else?

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, if you look closely, you can see the toe jam ;) sorry, man...just messin' with ya.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    rojo, not saying that it is an RD...but it could be from the Artist series. Some were sold in '82.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree.

When I read the desciption I imedeately thought RD Artist, but the pictures show a Firebird. I did not know they made these as part of the artist series, but aparently they did, because it sure as hell looks like one in the photo.

Peace
    Nick

19. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I wasn't even aware that there was a firebird Artist. That wasn't even brought up by Gibson or Gruhns when they were contacted.

The only info I found long ago was that this may have been a desperate attempt by the people at the Gibson Kalamazoo to salvage their jobs. They were experimenting with awesome stuff, but got shut down anyway, but there was odd stuff that made it out anyway.

I've never seen anyone play one of these. This is the only one I've ever even heard of. People who are more experienced than me guessed that it was the same as what I said above.

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    It sure looks like Artist Moog active electronics package found it's way into your guitar. As far as I am aware (and I did research this before buying my LP and ES Artists), that was the only active preamp that Gibson had during that time period ('79 to late '81, maybe even early '82). Either way, it seems that you have a quite rare instrument there.