Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a technique you did/do but are considering dropping?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 1, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was very amused by the thread titled "I can't slap" because while I can, I don't use the technique at all. I find I express myself better using muted/dead notes and raking the strings.

Anyone else?

2. BassAche

BassAche

May 1, 2003
    Calgary
    Tapping.

I can do it to an extent, but it seems to never fit in any song...

3. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Slapping. Maybe it's because I play a Squier and MTD, but what rudimentary slapping skills I have, I decided to give up because it just doesn't sound good to me when I slap.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think you should give up on any technique... each technique is like a tool in your bassist toolbelt. I think the best bassists try to be proficiant in every technqiue available to them.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Dude, I thought you were stupid? What gives??!?

;)

Great advice!!! I gave up slapping in 1996 because I wanted slick jazz/funk but after a decade I got simplistic, uptight, boring Claypool wannabe noise :rolleyes:

I got my new bass and BAM! I'm slapping again :bassist:

I think limiting the use of techniques that aren't you would be better... you never know when you'll need to pull a pop or 2 out of your hat.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    He did misspell "proficient".:p

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't think they do - I think they try to be proficient at playing bass. Did Jaco slap, does Bootsy use a pick, does Rocco tap? Did Jamerson use two fingers?!

Far better to be a master of one technique than a jack of all...

Alex

P.S. But do any great bassists solely play with a pick? (Not a flame, just curious - how about Jack Casady and Bobby Vega?)

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. It might be better if you are famous for thatone thing, but as a working musician, it is much better to be versatile. Having at least basic proficiency at each technique is much better (IMO) than being the master of one, unless you are one of those you mentioned.

But who's to say, they all could have busted out a pick or some slap grooves when the camera wasn't around ;)

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe I should clarify.

I mean dropping a technique from your "A" list of techniques. I suppose I'd be less dismissive of slapping if I played a style that required it, which may well happen someday.

I think it's a bad idea to use a technique just because you know how to do it.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Never give up, never surrender.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I didn't use slap or tap very much except while noodling at home, but lately I have been working on ways to use those techniques tastefully in improvised songs.

My pick playing has gone to crap lately, because I don't get much call for it. I practice it maybe once or twice a month.

I'd have to agree on the "as many tools in the toolbox as possible" argument. If you are a master of only one techique, as Nick said, you are passing up a large number of musical opportunities.

Besides, there will eventually be diminishing returns if you practice one or two techniques exclusively.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i used to tap a lot - when i was in college i was really into the whole billy sheehan thing big time. i gave that up, though, about 11 years ago. just not into it anymore.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

tada... there it is. :p