1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a tone difference between Millennia TD1 and STT1?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markorbit, Oct 5, 2008.

1. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    After taking delivery on a Berg IP112ER I'm now looking at the ultimate in high-end preamps.

Something tells me I should look at the Millennia stuff and I figured that the STT1 is at the top of that tree.

But does the cheaper TD1 have anything sonically unique that the STT1 cannot reproduce? Some players say they have one of each, why?

I'd go with the TD1 but I think I would like everything (including compression) in a single unit.

So, can anyone tell me what benefits the TD1 has over the STT1?

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The benefit of the TD-1 is really around portability and simplicity. You do get a couple of features that aren't on the STT-1 (re-amp, switchable DI input buffer, etc) but most aren't ones that would jump out as very bass player critical. It does have a transformer balanced, mic level DI output on it - something that is very important for a gigging bass player.

The other benefit is price. The STT-1 has a multitude of additional features that you're paying for - the biggest of which is the fact that it features two switchable pre-amps (tube and ss). The ss pre on the STT-1 is the same HV-3 that the TD-1 uses but it also features a tube pre based on the M2-B.

I have both. I use the STT-1 at home and for recording (I actually use it for tracking almost any instrument). I like having the choice between them tube and ss pre-amps. I also like having the compression and four bands of EQ. I use the TD-1 for gigging. It covers two critical functions on a gig - it serves as both a world-class pre-amp and DI (in one box).

I hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.

Thanks
    JC

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I'd suggest PM'ing Prockenklang.
    He uses both.

Check out his bass stuff while at his profile.

:eek:
    :bassist:
    :D

4. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    What is the reamp function on the TD1? A little investigation reveals it is some kind of speaker soak.

Does that mean I could for instance run the output of say, a cranked V4B 'safely' into this if I desired some proper output tube drive? And then EQ the result and feed the board with the TD1?

From the website:
    "Speaker Soak is a registered trademark of Millennia Media - it describes a process that allows a guitar or bass player to run their amplifier power output directly into a TD-1, capturing the true dynamic character of a power amplifier under complex loudspeaker loading, rather than a simple line-level direct signal which does not capture the nuance and color of a live amplifier."

This feature may swing it if it does. Anyone used it?

EDIT: I found the full manual and it seems the speaker soak works in parallel to an amp/speaker rather than replacing it. I think.

5. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006
    If that TD-1 had just one more EQ band...