1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a trick to intonating exposed TAPERED strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Harper, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    EDIT: I didn't have the strings in front of me when I initially posted this...they are TAPERED, not exposed core.

I have a set of DRs that I threw on my Stingray5 and I couldn't get the D string to intonate for anything. Assuming I got a bunk string, I requested another set and ended up with the same results; a D string with strange overtones, poor intonation, etc.

Am I missing something? Is there some trick to intonating tapered strings? I have no issues when using other strings on the same bass.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Your first issue is that DR does not make exposed core strings. You sure they are DR?

3. I had a set of tapered DRs that would not, no matter what, intonate on my Brian Moore. I was trying to be cheap. I had to go get yet another set of strings to fix the situation.I ended staying with the Elixers that I'd always used on the guitar. Kind of an expensive experiment in cheapness. Obviously I couldn't return them and I probably have them sitting around the shop someplace.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You might want to check the break angle at the nut, make sure the string tree is properly putting enough pressure on the string.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Make sure the string is not "Twisted"... Meaning when you put it on the ball end was not able to rotate freely and the string twisted. Loosen the string and make sure there is no resistance on the ball end to sit properly.

6. How much of the tapered part extends past the bridge saddles (toward the neck)? If it's more than a half inch or so, those strings won't work on your bass. Been there.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    (DR Long Necks have a pretty long tapered section)

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    ^ this.
    Are you top loading the strings? I believe DR long necks are for thru-body stringing, which reduces the tapered length between nut and saddle.
    The more tapered length between nut and saddle, the less the string vibrates like a normal string, because the mass is less along some of it's length. Causes inharmonicity and intonation troubles. Ideally the tapered section of a string should be as short as possible and also not excessively thin. Check out Circle K Strings, they have a 1.625" tapered section.

9. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Yeah, the Stingray5 strings through the bridge and I'm left with about an inch of taper going towards the neck. It's certainly an issue with harmonics, as the fretted notes show as being in tune all the way up through the 22nd fret. Additionally, things don't start sounding "off" until you get past the 12th fret.