1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a way to achieve a vibes sound...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Apr 25, 2009.

1. akin to that in this video, without using a multi-effect processor?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    With a bass guitar?

3. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I'm going to go ahead and say no... i'm not an expert but you'd need multiple effects or a midi bass or something to get this sound

4. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    If you just want the 'vibe' sound.. how about a vibe pedal? Am I missing something here?

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The 'Vintage Vibe Stage Vibe' in the video is apparently a 'recreation of the original 1960's tremolo' so I was a bit confused by your post. Is the Fender Rhodes supposed to mimic the sound of vibes?(or are the keys/hammers hitting vibes instead of strings?) I'd never thought of it but I can see the similarity in sound.

As far as sounding like vibes, I guess you could get kind of close with a hog or other harmonizer with the right kind of envelope controlling the attack and shaping the sound. I think a multi like the gr20 or something would be the best bet, but the HOG and POG have a similar tone and using the +octave and envelope section (or even just the 'spectral gate), and a little reverb you can dial in a vibey sound.

6. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You will probably not be able to make your bass sound like a Fender Rhodes no matter what you do with it but you can get some "Rhodes like" tones using false harmonics.

7. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    I'd forget about it, or learn to play the Rhodes.;)

8. Well, my jazz instructor has a piano similar to this (in looks, at the very least), and it has a vibes-simulation switch and chorus, plus some other modulation I can't remember at the moment. As for how this particular unit makes the vibe sound, I cannot say with certainty.

9. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    two words
    leslie cabinet
    didnt say it would be cheap!, but you said no fx processor

10. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    This Maybe will duplicate the rhodes vibrato effect

11. A Pbass with rounds played softly near the octave mark, through a POG with a little high octave (but not much), a little tremolo and a light phase might sound quite Rhodes-esque; if you have the cash to drop then I say it's worth the experiment. :)

EDIT: well, I saw your following posts and I can't think of a way to make a bass sound like that, it's the wrong pitch, and the attack-decay times don't fit. sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

12. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    got it,
    but are you trying to actually make a bass sound like a set of vibes
    you gonna need a synth. (I owned a roland gr-33b for some time, they're fun)

13. Okay, now I'm confusing myself. I must apologize, everyone. :scowl:

In response to the eternal question from Alex Trebek, "This is my final answer."

Reference :52-1:09 of this video.

14. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    you still gonna need a synth bass or some sort of midi device

15. Hmm, after research, it seems the Rhodes is precisely the sound I'm after.

Well, unless anyone has any further ideas, I guess I'll close up shop here. Thanks for your ideas anyway.

16. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    You'd have to play a lot with pitch to midi effect processors.