is there a way to convert 4 ohms to 8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tucker, Jan 21, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    is there a way to convert 4 ohms to 8 ohms and if there is how can i do it or if i cant then is it possible though and how much around
  2. I'm sorry, no, you can't convert a 4 ohms cab or speaker to 8 ohms. I mean, without replacing the speaker(s). 4 to 16 could be done, if the cab has 2 or 4 identical speakers. With just 1 speaker, again, sorry, no you can never change the impedance.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, to change the impedance, one could change the driver - or have the driver reconed with a different coil, I suppose. Other than that, options aren't good. One could wire a power resistor in series with the speaker to increase the impedance, but why bother? It would be a waste of power (and a possible fire hazard).

- Mike
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Speakers are the things that are being measured. So if you have 2 8 ohm speakers right now wired in parallel you can wire them in series to change it to 16 ohms. Or you can replace the two 8 ohm speakers with two 4 ohm speakers and wire them in series. Or get 2 16 ohms speakers and wire them in parallel... this things will make a 8 ohm setup. (Assuming you just had the two speakers.)