1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is there a way to convert 4 ohms to 8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tucker, Jan 21, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    is there a way to convert 4 ohms to 8 ohms and if there is how can i do it or if i cant then is it possible though and how much around

2. I'm sorry, no, you can't convert a 4 ohms cab or speaker to 8 ohms. I mean, without replacing the speaker(s). 4 to 16 could be done, if the cab has 2 or 4 identical speakers. With just 1 speaker, again, sorry, no you can never change the impedance.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, to change the impedance, one could change the driver - or have the driver reconed with a different coil, I suppose. Other than that, options aren't good. One could wire a power resistor in series with the speaker to increase the impedance, but why bother? It would be a waste of power (and a possible fire hazard).

- Mike

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Speakers are the things that are being measured. So if you have 2 8 ohm speakers right now wired in parallel you can wire them in series to change it to 16 ohms. Or you can replace the two 8 ohm speakers with two 4 ohm speakers and wire them in series. Or get 2 16 ohms speakers and wire them in parallel... this things will make a 8 ohm setup. (Assuming you just had the two speakers.)