1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a way to date Foundations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N.F.A., Mar 6, 2010.

1. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Hi all,
    Just picked this one up on CL today. Just curious as to what someone can tell me about it, especially the year, wood, etc.
    It has the trapezoid bridge, super ferrite pups. It's on the heavy side, but not overly so.
    3k03o03la5Oe5P05R5a343e93c710cf011a.gif
    3k33p23lf5Oa5Td5P5a34bf1f93397d1a19.gif
    3k63mc3lc5Ob5T25P3a346ce68286d86419.gif

2. What's the serial # ?

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I thought the numbers on the back of the headstock were patent numbers. Are those the ones you mean?

4. There should be a stamped serial number on back of the headstock.

P.S, if you want to date a foundation, make sure you pick a good place for dinner. :D:bag:

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Email Peavey with the serial number, they'll let you know.

=wr=

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Bingo! The number is 02035452. Just had to put some glasses on to see it.

7. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Heh heh! :)

8. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Thanks bassplayer8953. If I read it correctly then this one is from 1985!

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Thanks man I just did that.

10. I saw that on Craigslist and almost called about it. Congrats on the new bass.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That sounds about right. I remember Peavey was big on that color when I was starting out in the mid-80's.

12. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Yeah, it is pretty nice. I will soon have 3 Peavey basses in the fold. (Fury, Foundation and Foundation fretless)
    Just gotta get the string height right. May have to take it to Justin over at Toedtman Music this Tuesday.

13. I really wish I could get my hands on a good USA Peavey (bass, that is). I'm not complaining about my Fury VI, though, great bass!

14. Depending on what you want, they come up on ebay all the time. Foundations were made for 20+ years, so there are always at least a few for sale. And with a few exceptions they are almost always reasonable. The higher-line USA models (TL-5, Sarzo's) command more money, but are still a relative bargain, considering what you get, as opposed to what you spend.

15. I do not use E-bay, nor do I plan to.

I'm fine with waiting, and going on the hunt at various shops/yard sales/dumpsters. :p
    After all, you don't get a 1983 Peavey T-25 Special with OHSC for $75 on E-bay! :D

16. You stated you wish you could get your hands on a USA Peavey.

I pointed out a reasonably easy way to do this, ebay.

If you choose not to use them, whatever floats your boat...but ebay is a relatively painless way to find the bass you stated you wanted. I found my Foundation there, even the exact color and (maple fretboard) neck I wanted. We also found my son one there...again, exact color he wanted. His was $125, so I'd say he did all right.

If you're not in a hurry, obviously, one could fall out of the sky and land in your lap...but you could be waiting a long time.

17. Absolutely. Ebay is the way to go. There are quite a few USA Peaveys up there on any given day. You never know what you might find. I've seen T-40's/Foundations/Dynabasses and Fury's..etc... go for really cheap. Especially if you find an auction that's ending at an oddball time, or has bad spelling in the title.

18. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse (okay, I am...) but I'm 16...kids and E-bay do not mix effectively...nor do I trust any transaction wherein I cannot test the gear thoroughly.

Although I do suppose you can get local "E-bayers"...

I dunno, there's also the stipulation of cash...what you call cheap and what I call cheap are totally different. I can't even afford a new Squier CV. (In all fairness, that was not a great comparison..)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020