1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is there a way to get rid of a signature off a signature model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnderDogbassist, Sep 17, 2010.

1. i have been showing some interest lately in the marcus miller bass, and just one part of me holds me back from getting it. typically i don't like using a signature model, because i think it doesn't really represent me, it represents somebody else. i usually by my basses with the idea that it is "my" bass. i''m willing to make an exception with a marcus miller since it's so awesome, but i just have one question. is there a way to remove that signature off the headstock without harming the bass?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    You can sand it off, then re-finish. Or cover it up with a small sticker or decal of some sort. Lots of people have removed the Squier logo off of headstocks, applied a Fender decal, then re-finished. Some of them look very convincing

3. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    tape, a knife, a screw driver, sandpaper, a chisel, a flame thrower, a laser, a circular saw, a key, a pair of scissors, paint stripper, goof off, kilz, a putty knife, sharpie, magic marker, white out, and maybe a soldering iron.

all of the above will make the signature unrecognizable. Pick one.

or just leave it there. nobody's gonna look at your headstock, and go "oh...him."

4. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
  5. I think you left out the 4" grinder with a flap wheel and a belt sander, both of which would work well in this situation.

6. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    damn, i was thinking of a grinder but i blanked on the right name...

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'd think you'd look more foolish by removing it, than actually just rocking it as is.

Plenty of people play Gibson Les Paul models, and don't worry about it.

8. mrtorian

mrtorian

Nov 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Only you represent you; the instrument is pretty passive in this regard. Don't forget it also has Fender's name on it.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021