Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a way to hook up a microphone to my Zoom B2.1u pedal?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Jan 24, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I recently got a Zoom B2.1u effects pedal which lets you record bass and guitar lines when hooked up to your computer via USB and I really enjoy making silly lo-fi music with it. Thing is, I'd love to add some "real" vocals to my song as well, but the pedal doesn't have an XLR input. Is there any way to hook up a mic to this thing and what do I have to do? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    you can get an adapter, or a mic cable, that will adapt from the xlt to 1/4 in unbalanced. Or make one yourself with a xlr on one end and 1/4 plug on the other. Either way, it's inexpensive and easy.

Since you're talking about lo-fi, I wouldn't really worry about the loss from converting to unbalanced 1/4". You might have a weak signal from the mic, but it should work, esp if you can turn up gain on the zoom.

There are more complicated and "better" ways to do it, but try it and I bet it will work fine for you

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try. One more question, do I need a male or female XLR connector to connect a microphone? I'm about to order a cheap-ish mike for myself and a 1/4/XLR cable. I don't think our singer will be willing to lend me his mike, he needs it sometimes during the week.
    I honestly can't remember. It's been ages since I last plugged in a microphone. :meh:

4. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    The mic will most likely accept the female end.

Some mics, especially cheaper ones, might come already wired to a 1/4 jack, or with a cable that converts the xlr to 1/4.

here is an example of what I'm talking about:

cable like this http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUC15HZ

or regualr xlr cable and this
    [​IMG]

This is not the best way to record with a mic, right? We're just talking about something that will work.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, I know, but I have no aspirations whatsoever to produce a "professional" sound -- for now. :D
    Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna get a cheapish mike and a 1/4-XLR female cable.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Does that pedal come with Cubase LE? I might look into that. I'm looking for a cheap multi effects unit. If I can get Cubase LE as well, it's a bit of a bonusl.

OK back to the mic. All you really need is a mic cable that's XLR on one end and 1/4" jack on the other. I don't know if the mic will give a hot enough signal for you to get any decent levels, so you might also need some sort of pre-amp or signal booster.

Sounds like fun. Let us know how it goes.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, it comes with Cubase LE, which is easier to use than I thought. I made 3 "cool" lo-fi pieces with it so far. The third one might actually sound decent. The drums were done in Guitar Pro 5 (Cubase LE doesn't include a drum computer) and the "organ" in song 3 is my midi keyboard, recorded with Windows sound recorder :)D) as the B2.1u can't do midi and trying to record my Sound Blaster Live's output in Cubase LE gives me latency issues.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/brixelfumpf/pony/