1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is There a Way to Identify a Vintage Modified Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 5, 2016.

1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I'm interested in picking up a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, and I'm curious if there is a way to identify the specific model.

From what I've seen, there don't appear to be any markings that are specific to the VM line. Is there a difference in the serial #, or place of manufacture? How can I tell if it's a standard model or a Vintage Modified?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

AFAIK, all VM Squiers have been made in Indonesia since their introduction. And all Indonesian built instrument's serial numbers begin with "IC" or "ICS."

So the serial number prefix should give you a good idea of what you're looking at.

Classic Vibe serial numbers all begin with "CG."

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. The "Duncan Designed" pickups were replaced with Fenders at some point. Not sure what year. Also, certain colors were introduced later so that could help.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As mentioned above the serial will tell you where and who made it. IC means Indonesian Cort for example.

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Specifically speaking Jazz basses here have only been a few Vintage Modified versions sold with pretty limited color choices and typically another feature here or there (knobs, inlays) that differentiate them from Squier Standard.

6. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Thanks for the responses everyone. So am I reading it right that there really isn't a huge difference between the VM and the standard?

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    No, there is a difference in levels.
    The Vintage Modified is a step up from the entry-level Affinity and the Classic Vibe is a step up from the VM.

8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There is a difference. The 3 levels for Squire are Affinity, Vintage Modified, and Classic Vibe.

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    VM is where Squiers get good.

nerkoids likes this.
  10. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Again, I apologize for the the ignorance, all of the affinity basses say affinity on the headstock, correct? So if it doesn't say affinity, it's either a VM or CV?

11. Feralhog

Feralhog

Dec 29, 2014
    NH
    None
    The Squier Affinity series currently has a tiny "Affinity Series" logo on the end of the headstock. You can just see it on the Fender site if you zoom in. Might an unscrupulous person remove it easily? Maybe...........

12. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Correction, there are 5 levels for Squier. Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe. Before the introduction of the VMs and CVs, The Standards were the top of the Squier line. Affinitys, Bullets and Standards will all say that on the head stock. So If you find a Squier bass that does not say Bullet, Affinity, or Standard series on the head stock, it will more than likely be a VM or CV or Artist series. The early VM basses had Duncan Designed pickups in them. After that, it comes down to knowing which basses were issued in which lines, by comparing body colors, pick guards, and fretboards.

Danomo likes this.
  13. ^ This.

Also: I'd be less concerned with 'which line' of Squier, vs. how it feels in your hands. I'm a Squier-a-holic (among other GAS problems) and it's a pretty wide ranging brand. You can find gold or junk - although yes, the VMs and CVs run a much higher batting average. One very gross rule of thumb is that the more ornate the paint job of the logo, the higher the product line. Lower Squiers almost always have simple black script logos; VMs and CVs usually have gold script with a black edging.

If you're concerned about being sold something that is falsely billed, FMIC does a great job of poster-izing their model lineup on their website. Also might help you go shopping for what you want ... LOL ...

14. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Looking at the pictures, can I assume this is a VM? And are they worth $179?

Attached Files:

15. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
  16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks for the correction. I was not aware of the Artists series at all, and I thought the Bullet was a model rather than a series.

17. How about that all of the Vintage Modified Jazz' have those chrome Tele/Precision style knobs (except the '77 which has Strat knobs). The Classic Vibe and Affinity have traditional Jazz knobs.

18. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    You may be right, but I figure if they call the Bullet Strat a Strat, then it would be a series instead of a model. I will say I wish they would use the sparkle finish they put on some of the Bullets on some of the VM and CV basses