1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a way to mimic that thin, classic bridge tone of a ricky without using a 0.0047 uf?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Float on man, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    I’ve got a crappy j-bass clone and I want to have that ricky 4003 optional thin tone push pull pot. But, I can’t find that “rocky cap” as I like to call it. Can reverse polarity work? Also, how do you ground a push pull pot while at it, like, where do you plant the solder to connect all the grounds? Like those dabs of solder where you attach the grounds in.

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Try reducing one of those zeroes to the right of that decimal point.

3. I can't access the Rickenbacker site right now, but here is the location of their drawing:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19557.pdf

IIRC they use a 4.7 nF cap for the high pass filter on the bridge pickup.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You do realize that the bridge pickup on a Jazz (clone) is in an entirely different spot than the bridge pickup on a Rick, right? Even if you add the cap (not hard to find, I did one last year), it won’t sound the same, due to pickup position.

5. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    I know, I just want and option of a thin tone like a ricky does. Also, for skme reason all the ones I’ve found din’t ship to my country or I just can’t trust the quality of it.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Not sure what country you’re in, but any capacitor of approximately the right value will do (except polarized caps). Quality doesn’t really matter.

7. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Really? Okay then. Also, what does a reverse polarity switch do then? Get rid if some mids or somethin?

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No, that is the correct value.

It is a .0047uF cap in-line with the bridge pup’s positive lead. That type of cap is non-polarized.

It acts as a High Pass Filter blocking frequencies below approx 175Hz or so. And since that cap is in essence acting as a first order filter, it shifts the phase of the bridge pup by 90 degrees which helps mitigate the dreaded mid-scoop caused by comb filtering that is so common with two pickup basses. That results in a totally different sounding growl with stronger mids in addition to the bass cut.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    mcnach likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020