Is there a way to prematurely age flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Persona87, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Persona87

Persona87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I have a set of TI flats on my 5 string Carvin that spent about six months on another bass before that. The set is around eight months old now and it's settling in nicely. The problem is that I decided to restring the bass with a high C instead of a low B, and that new string is MUCH brighter than the others. Is there anything I can do to warm this string up and make it sound more like its neighbors? Should I just bite the bullet, order the rest of the set, and restring the whole thing? Or should I just accept the tonal variation and hope that it settles in eventually?

2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    According to various sources here on TB, you could order from KFC, eat it, not wipe your hands, and then play some...

Tbh, though, I really don't know, I've wondered the same myself, since I have tested alot of different flatwound sets bought new online during the last few years. Subbed!

3. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    just use it... play a bit with the tone closed (or high-frequencies control a bit closed) to even them a bit, and let it break in.

petrus61 likes this.
  4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    some of it is oxidation as well.
    KFC should do the trick for the rest though; that s**t will kill you and your strings:laugh:

Mikaelbass likes this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
  6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
  7. have two kids, back to back, both boys. That ought to put a lil age on'm. Real quick like

shawshank72 likes this.
  8. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Prior to installing new flats on my bass I put a thin coat of Vasaline to the strings for about an hour. Then wipe it off and install.
    It takes the stickiness and zing off the string.

9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I just cant imagine wiping off Vasaline and not having it be sticky?

10. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    It's not at all.

shawshank72 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021