1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a way to run 2 basses into 1 amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kingskippy2001, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    My son would like to start teaching a local middle school kid, but the kid doesn't have his own amp yet. Can my son get any kind of splitter so they can both be pluged in at once?

2. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    OK, cool... I was also wanting to make sure it wouldn't hurt the Amp OR the Basses. Thanks for the help.

3. At low volumes it probably wouldn't matter but I am not 100% sure. It wouldn't hurt the basses at all, but someone here can shed light on whether it would hurt the amp/cabinet.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It won't hurt but keep the volumes down because you'll have a problem hearing one or the other if you don't.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've never tried a Y-cord in this application but many amps have dual (normal/padded) inputs that can be used simultaneously.
    Another option would be using an ABY pedal connected in reverse.

6. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks guys, he loves playing and alot of local kids look up to him since he is in a "band". He has a couple of kids that want to learn guitar and 1 that wants to learn bass.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Whats amazing about those Y cables is that if you turn off one basses volume, it turns the other off as well. So prey that one doesnt have higher output then the other because there is no adjusting the basses volumes in relevance to each other.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Or if one bass is active - it's going to be driving the pickups of the other bass.
    Look for a cheap small mixer.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bah...the kid just wants to teach some of his friends how to play the bass. No reason to go nuts with money or overthink it...a Y cable will do the job fine.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A Y is not a mixer, it is a splitter. Division is not addition.
    Results are poor.

11. i got one at Fry's for like 2 bucks
    no problems with the amp
    just dont crank the volume because you may overpower them
    :hyper:DO NOT USE AN ACTIVE WITH A PASSIVE!:hyper:

12. Battery mixer?

[​IMG]

13. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    An amp w/ 2 inputs

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't always work for the same reasons a Y cable doesn't always work.