Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a way to slave a thunderfunk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Sep 24, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Well, my issue with the tfunk has always been volume. I really should stop playing with such loud bandmates :).

Is there a way you can slave the tfunk into another poweramp so you can use the tfunks power section plus a separate power amp?

Your knowledge is always apreciated as usual.

S-

2. Yes there is. Connect the post EQ effects send (pre-out) to the power amp of your choice and voila! The power of the Tfunk will still be operational and you will have additional power from the power amp. These seperate power units cannot be combined (bridged) into a single cab however. Chances are good that you will find little use for the Tfunk power section once you add a power amp to your rig.

3. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking to mix it with the Demeter tube power amp to power a second bergie form the Nv series. I got a tfunk and an NV425 and if I add the Demeter VTH300 and an NV215 it will be glorious :)

:bassist: :bassist:

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    :D Now that was funny... :D

5. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

See, we got this guitar player that thinks he's Ted Nugent playing with an army of 6 Fender Twins!!! and a drummer that went with the Ludwig Amber kit ala John Bonham. Them sob's are loud!

6. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Okay... let me tell you 'bout LOUD! :eek: :eek: ...and this is how I slayed them...

My drummer is a BIG DUDE... American Samoan... a former o-lineman with the NFL... 'Skins, Cheifs, Bucs... mid-late 80s. The man is about 6'-7", and is somewhere around 250#... he's dropped some weight since his football days... smart guy! He has a double-bass set of Pearl drums... I don't know the model, but they're that "chrome" look. Needless to say, this boy can pound the beejezus out of his set!

Guitar dude... 100 watt Marshall... naturally. Double stack 4 x 12"s... what else?

We play a ton of 60s & 70s classics, and we throw in some 80s stuff, too. We avoid the newer stuff on purpose. When we gig, we have to accept volume restraints from various venues... as I'm sure you must deal with from time to time. However... when it's practice time, and we LOVE to practice... hell, we make a party out of it... volume is where it's at! I have a 10K sq.ft. warehouse in an industrial area, so no one is going to complain.

I slay both of these guys with my weapon of mass destruction: an Aguilar DB750... through a Bergantino NV215, and an Eden D410XLT... they don't stand a chance...

Seriously... we are pros, so we do know how to keep it down when necessary... but you gotta hang with us when we practice! Like I said... we make a party out of it. Friends show up with the beers, the BBQ grill gets going... lots of fun!

Aloha,

David

7. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

Sweet man.

I'll be in Honololu for my next anniversary around August of next year. If you guys play somewhere I'd love to see you play!

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    That could happen... :bassist:

We had a great practice session today. About 15 friends, friends of friends, and a few relatives showed up at the 'ol warehouse. My business partner, who isn't a musician but loves to hang, busted out the grill... I gotta admit that sometimes I have more fun at practice sessions rather than gigs! :hyper:

Now... here's the reason for this post: Mr. 100-watt-Double-Stack-Marshall shows up with a completly different rig today: a little 30-watt THD tube amp, and a 2 x 12" cabinet, which I've seen before. This was a total surprise! :confused: I've never heard of this THD thing he bought. He said he wanted to run this through the PA, and he wanted me to hook-up my DB750 through the PA, too. He wanted to see if we could work on volume control today... I figure... why not? Sunday's are for practice, so let's experiment!

Well... we truly had a great sound, and I'm honestly sitting here typing-up this message, and my ears aren't ringing like they usually do after a Sunday practice marathon.

Maybe my guitar player has experienced some sort of a sound related epiphany... :meh:

Anyway... we all ended our session feeling that this was a truly productive practice session, and we just might have a new approach for our overall sound... :eyebrow:

9. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    He probably got a THD flexi or a Bivalve. My guess is the flexi. They make fantastic amps and they got built in attenuators so you can crank it up without the ear ringing at the end :D