Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a way to tighten up a low B?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 8, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I always hear about "tight" and "loose" Bs, and I think I have finally encountered one in my friends Jazz 5. The E feels a little loose as well too. Or is just the way of the bass?

Benjamin

2. Generally a higher gauge string will tighten it a bit. Search the forums for more information, it's been discussed a lot.

3. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Sure, turn the tuning key counter-clock wise. :p

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Higher/thicker gauges and if I might suggest making certain the neck joint is as tight as possible.

5. beat me to it. :spit:

heavier string, as previously stated.

You could try a heavier bridge too, depending on what you have now. The break angle over the nut and bridge has something to do with it to. If there was some way to put a string tree kind of thingy on the headstock that might help too. If you're really adventurous, try putting a string-thru bridge on it, and drill a hole. The ferrules are available here and there, try the Carvin catalog or Allparts.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Heavier guages, try a set of .134-.50 or so.

7. Put it on a different bass

-sorry, couldn't (wouldn't) stop myself- for real, tho, Fender 5's are pretty hit & miss. Mine has a decent B, but the G sounds like it has a phaser or something on it. Just the G. Kinda cool...

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are a few things that might help, including heavier strings and different hardware. This is really related to the Setup of the bass, so I am moving it to that Forum. Try a search there, and in our Strings forum.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Jazz 5's B string suck big time. And I even tried one with a .135" B!!!! My StingRay 5 has a powerfull tight B even stringed with a .115" B. This is another reason for me to hate Fender (and love MusicMans -and just the Ernie Ball ones-).

ANDRUCA