1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    The only regret I have about getting a BB base is... not holding off a year for the new series of BB bases.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know, I have a 424x and it's a fantastic instrument. I love it!

3. MattOfSweden

MattOfSweden Playing for time Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Me too, I have an -85 BB3000S and an -86 BB3000A and they both have the smoothest jazz style necks I’ve ever played. Fantastic basses!

FJBass82 and Mediocrity Man like this.
  4. I have two BB734a. One is dark coffee sunburst and the other is translucent black matte. The black one has more of a resonant deep bass sound than the sunburst. And the sunburst has more treble and is brighter with a more articulated sound. Anyone else hearing this discrepancy?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. wish me luck i have an inspection today.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    Yea, I mixed up my previous comment. The BB3000A also has the slim neck. Very comfortable indeed.

MattOfSweden and FJBass82 like this.
  7. omg actually

Attached Files:

8. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I haven't played live with my Yamaha BB1024X for about a year. I had diferent gigs and played with other basses. I've been playing with it mainly at home, either practicing or rehearsing songs.
    But last sunday I took it for a ride and let me tell how much I love this bass. It nailed the perfect tone that I love. Man, this bass is sooooo good... I fell in love with it again.
    It has a set of chromes on it that are about 2 years old and sound better than ever. I use a GK MB Fusion head and I pushed the gain to the edge of breakup so I could clean the sound when playing smooth and get some bite when I pushed the note and it was like tone heaven.
    Here's a video from that gig...

9. joostone

joostone

Oct 19, 2005
    Last year Ive bought a heavily sanded and deconstructed BBG4AII, it was in a bad condition.
    The last couple of months I took my time with it. Sanded everything, painted it bright orange. Printed a decal and polished everything up....

Im really satisfied with the way it looks (and sounds) now!

10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Looks good! :cool:

11. I brought my "new" BB614 to band practice last week and left my 2005 MIA Fender P-Bass at home. (We're a cover band, playing classic rock, alternative, and some country). I gotta say that the BB sounded great and was fun to play. The tech did a great job on this one setting it up just right.

I've had a few other BB's in the past: two 300's, a 414, and two 424X's, and the BB614 has had the best tone out of them all. I could never really dial up a tone that I was satisfied with on my other BB's, except for the one 300 that I replaced the original pups with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds; wow, that bass rocked! I have to admit that the BB614 is giving the P-Bass a run for its money, but I still like that Fender.

I always thought that the 614 would be my back-up bass at gigs, but I've decided that sometimes it'll be the primary bass and the P will be sitting in the stand.

12. If anyone is interested in a BB1600, there's one available at the Guitar Center in Fairview Heights, Illinois (St. Louis, Mo. metro area) for $699.99. You can view it online. I drove an hour from my house yesterday to go check it out, since I've never seen one in person. It's black and has gold hardware, but no matching black head stock. Has no major dings or dents, only surface scratches. The truss rod cover on the body is missing. It was made in Taiwan, so I'm not sure what year it was manufactured. The chrome plate that holds the neck to the body is engraved with the former owner's initials. And the bass does come with a case, according to the ad.

I sat down to play it but it needs a good set-up. No scratchy pots. The tone sounded good. All-in-all, not a bad bass. I did bring along my 2005 MIA Fender Standard P-Bass just in case I wanted to trade it in for the BB1600, but I decided not to. My P is in better shape and I just can't part with it. So for now I'll only have one Yamaha BB Bass in the stable.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  13. hopefully i get my basses back today hey miss them so much

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Just some Friday fun - found this neat Yamaha BB425 video, found it rather enjoyable.

Have a great weekend everyone! :cool:

15. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    Very nice, been looking to buy a BB425 for some time now. I have a BB414 which i love the sound of but i need 5 strings

Nice thick tone

stingray69 likes this.
  16. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Nicely done!! Great tone!

stingray69 likes this.
  17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've got three BB425x basses and I haven't touched my other basses ever since.

Thick, supportive tones abound and the B string is great! They are incredible instruments! :thumbsup:

FJBass82 and Rickter like this.
  18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

The guy is crushing it for sure - what a great player!

I searched his YouTube channel and it seems he has done this cover on a whole gamut of well regarded basses and wow, it's clear to me that this BB425 comes out on top tone-wise in my opinion. :thumbsup:

19. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yep. I've got a BB415. Super solid tone. Different from your standard P or J, more mid punch. I love my Fender AmStd P5, but initially was contemplating getting a BB1025 based on my experience with my 415. When I went looking for one I was told Yamaha had quit making them and like a sucker I took that as fact and moved on. I love my Fender, but I still would love a higher end BB 5.

stingray69 likes this.
  20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Kinda the same here - started off with a single BB425x a year or so ago and was just blown away with everything about it. I was going to go about checking into a BB1025x and the plan was to save up for one, but suddenly the bottom fell out of the "X" series entirely, with the 2018 lineup change. But truth be told, I'm so pleased with my 425X, that instead I just picked up a couple more BB425x for a steal on the used market and never been happier tone-wise on my bass journey. :)