1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. should i get a bass amp as i think that's why my amp sounds a little off when i play. it doesn't give the note that most basses do and when i used a bass amp at school it sounded deeper and was a lot better than the guitar amp at home.

2. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Someone has a BB735A on the way..... His name is me and it will be here tomorrow!!

I will definitely post pics and initial thoughts asap.

3. Hey that photo in your avatar what kind of bass it that. Could you post a pic. The pickguard is crazy and just pops.

4. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My old USA Hamer Cruise w/aftermarket pickguard & knobs. I had it in the classifieds—search and you’ll find pics in the listing.

5. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross, Precision Bass Geek Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Look forward to hearing your experiences and thoughts. I'm really wanting one of these.

rashrader likes this.
  6. I will take a look thx

7. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    There's nothing wrong with running bass through a guitar amp, BUT it is not ideal for several reasons (some of which you already mentioned). You generally have to stick to lower volume levels and try to avoid getting aggressive (slapping/popping or digging in hard on notes) - especially with the lower strings. Bass guitar frequencies & high volume typically don't end well when going through a speaker designed to handle guitar frequencies rather than bass frequencies.

Running through a bass amp will benefit your tone as well as remove some of the physical limitations you have to worry about (volume levels, playing technique, etc). This would free you up to simply focus on your playing rather than adjusting your volume & your playing technique(s) around the limitations & worries of damaging a guitar amp.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    FJBass82, Brae Ems and Yammybass like this.
  8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    On the bright side, much of Jack Bruce's sound on the early Cream albums was blown speakers.

stingray69 likes this.
  9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Indeed! :D

10. well it's my friends birthday today maybe i can get him to turn to the dark side he was with us now he plays the guitar he is like mace windu of basses and guitars.

Pbassmanca and stingray69 like this.
  11. My first bass was a Yamaha BB300 and to this day, I have a Yammy RBX170 that I love messing around with. Yamaha basses are fantastic players!

Crystalman85 and FJBass82 like this.
  12. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hey BB fans... I'm selling my BB2025X in the classifieds, for what I think is a great price for a great instrument in nice condition: $1300 shipped in the US: For Sale - Yamaha BB2025X

Make me an offer!

Thanks all.

Nunovsky, Rickter and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    So, in my travels, I run into interesting things from time to time. This used to be a BB5000. I'm going to make it into a working bass again. I think I'll plane down the face of the body, new wood top. It will likely end up with those EMGs, and black hardware. She plays nice, if a little tight on the spacing.

Attached Files:

Rickter likes this.
  14. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So the BB735a slayed at my classic rock jam last night! In the live mix it was fat, punchy and articulate. It was nice to have a more Fender-ish P sound available, which my 425 doesn’t really do.

In passive mode the sound was more open and textured. In active mode the sound was tighter and more compressed (in a good way). The active treble definitely can get spiky and brittle, and I generally left it flat or dialed back a little. Actually, I found active mode with all three bands set flat (or a tiny treble cut) to sound so good I really didn’t mess with the knobs much. I could go from “classic” to dubby and thumpy to wonderfully nasty clank. It played great too (although I still haven’t done a setup.)

I’m still in the honeymoon phase, and I can’t tell whether I’ll prefer it to my beloved BB425. The good news is they’re pretty different sounding, and they feel different too. So I guess i’ll end up preferring whichever one fits the mood I’m in :)

15. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I had a similar experience. I have a BB424 so I can relate to your comparison. First of all the body on the new line, 735A, ect. are smaller. Little more compact perhaps that is why it felt different. I like both and think they did a good job make it a tad smaller. The ceramic pickups in the 424 sound more modern than the alinco magnets for sure. I've mainly used my 735A in passive but I do like the sound of the preamp. I LOVE that they have an active/passive switch with the tone control in passive. It's really what sold me on the bass. Having those options makes for a versatile tool indeed.

Only set up I did was lower the action a tad and filed the nut down to my liking. I never expect and nut to sit right from the factory unless it's a custom build so that was no problem.

stingray69, The Thinker and Rickter like this.
  16. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I’m not at all impressed by the setup of this bass from the factory.

The not is horribly cut. It would appear that this nut is cut for a different neck radius than this bass. It’s really quite high on the middle three strings. It’s virtually unplayable on the first the frets of this strings.

There are a few finish imperfections on the neck that are quite tactile and annoying. It feels like two large gritty pieces in the finish. They are right around the third fret on the treble side of the neck. Quite annoying and unacceptable.

The pickups are adjusted horrible as well. This is pretty much an easy fix.

Overall, it is pretty unplayable. The action is ridiculously high. I know that the height of the nut has a lot to do with this. Has anyone had to get the nut filed right away? This is horrible. I’m seriously considering sending it back.

It does sound okay, and it would definitely sound better with a proper setup. I don’t own nut files, or do I want to file it myself. I don’t think it should be this bad from the factory. I’m very let down. Adjusting the truss rod and saddles (height and intonation) is acceptable, but having to go to a luthier to make a new bass playable is not.

Not pleased.

17. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like a lemon. I’d just send it back and get a different one. Not worth repairing a brand new bass. Bummer, man.

18. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross, Precision Bass Geek Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Where did you get it from? Seems like the seller didn't set it up before shipping it. Sweetwater always takes care of that.

19. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Yup. It’s going back. I’m not sure if I’m going to give Yamaha another chance though. Gonna have to think on it....

FJBass82 and Rickter like this.
  20. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I get it—I’d be salty too! I’m a big Yamaha fan but there are other great basses at the price point, especially used.

rashrader and FJBass82 like this.