1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a Yamaha BB club? There is now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. my Precision doesn't get much action lately... ;-)

IMG_1980.

2. Who designed and cut the pickguard? It really turned out nice and totally captures the P-bass pickguard spirit while matching the curves of the Yamaha body.

I'm guessing the output jack is acting to anchor the tip of the pickguard to the body ... that's the only part that looks a bit off. I think I would leave those two screws off between the tone pot and output jack (hindsight is 20/20 and all that).

Anyway ... it looks terrific to me!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. I designed the pickguard myself and my friend cut it on CNC machine. At the beginning I was thinking about stingray style pickguard which would follow the round contour of the body better, but the P pickup kind of ruined the proportion. Ended up with precision style afterall.

4. Has anyone watched "Santana Live at the 1982 US Festival" on AXS TV yet? David Margen is the bass player and it appears he's playing a sunburst BB3000, but where the toggle switch usually sits is another knob. I don't believe it's a BB1600, as the knobs on David's bass are the dark smoke/black plastic speed knobs, whereas the BB1600 has metal chrome knobs. There's only one close-up shot of the bass' head stock (it's a natural wood color), and the Yamaha logo is not colored black, but instead is a light color and appears that it has a gold outline around it. But following the logo it looks like it's marked "BB----". If anyone gets a chance check the concert out and see what you think.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. some bb3000 have 3 knobs instead of 2 knobs and switch.

FJBass82 likes this.
  6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

How was your show man? Did you guys have fun and rock out?

Brae Ems and Rickter like this.
  7. hell yeah we came third though bloody technical difficulty's cody's guitar detuned itself and my amp wasn't up that loud in the beginning. while everybody else got to go on stage we had to stay off to the side.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Pbassmanca and Thumpin_P like this.
  8. I'm looking at changing my BB424X from the 3 way switch setup to a Volume Volume Tone setup. This might be a really lame and specific question, but does anybody know how I can go about getting an additional matching knob to replace the three way switch? I see that the new BB234-5 basses still have chrome knobs on them (the higher end lines seem to have changed to a different type). Does anybody know if the chrome knobs on the BB234 are the same as on the BB424X? If so, could I contact Yamaha directly for the part? I'm ridiculous enough that I couldn't handle the lack of symmetry if one was a different size/shape.

9. bb234 knobs are not the same as 424x. 234 knobs are like revstar knobs.

DuluthDank likes this.
  10. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Some OEM parts might or might not still be available for the 424X. Contact Yamaha Support to get the specific part number, and then you can check online for availability and pricing through their Yamaha 24x7 parts order website.

DuluthDank likes this.
  11. Joszan7

Joszan7

Dec 7, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Just picked up a BB435 and am loving it. I have one question though, is there any aftermarket bridge out there that would drop right in on the 435? Was just wondering cause I can't seem to find any that have the extended B saddle. Not really looking to replace it now, but was just curious.

12. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross, Precision Bass Geek Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    To my knowledge there are no drop in replacements that are exact. You're likely not going to find any solid bridges with the extended B. To my knowledge the only way that you're going to retain that feature with an aftermarket bridge is to use something like the Hipshot Triple Lock Down single string bridges, and then manually position the B at a longer scale length than the other 4 strings. That's probably the only way that you're going to retain the longer scale B string and the string through body option. Again, this is just to MY knowledge, others that are more knowledgeable may have a better solution.

Joszan7 likes this.
  13. i want a five string bb700 so badly right now

Rickter and Pbassmanca like this.
  14. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I just got to play my new-to-me BB235 at rehearsal tonight for the first time. I was highly impressed. I bought it as a beater to leave at our rehearsal spot. But I have to say if this was my only bass, I'd be just fine. It is truly amazing what $199 will buy these days.

Crystalman85, Brae Ems and Pbassmanca like this.
  15. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Yeah man, that's a sick bass!
    F12817908AB04D68831C395F85EE8659_12073_735x735_ebfe5b62a45f6a7e18968b66a35ce05e.

cikatrne, Brae Ems, quickfix and 3 others like this.
  16. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Contact Yamaha spare parts and buy the 735 bridge. It'll drop straight on, and works pretty good.

It also has YAMAHA embossed on the rear lip of the bridge, so is some cool OEM bling.

Pbassmanca, Rickter and Joszan7 like this.
  17. BassBron

BassBron

Oct 30, 2011
    @ Melikebass: Mine is exactly the same (2nd hand), but I replaced the angle iron bridge with a gotoh bridge. The color, neck and being passiv did it for me

18. Joszan7

Joszan7

Dec 7, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Oh ok, thanks man, I didn’t think that would be the case. I didn’t think it would drop right in because of the placement of the screw near the B string saddle on the 435. I guess the 735 bridge also has that non-centered screw placement there too? It just doesn’t seem like the screws match up on both of their bridges.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  19. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    There is no difference with the two bridges. It isn't a longer scale B string on the 435, just a gimmick of sorts to have more adjustability for the B string, as you often max out the intonation screw.

My 735 intonates just fine with a "normal" bridge.

Check the screw pattern on both but I would doubt that Yamaha would have a different screw pattern for 1 bass compared to all others in the series.

20. If you do this change, please report back here. Bridge on my 415 is only place I don't like 100%. Maybe take an "in-between" pic of screw placement on both bridges.

Rickter likes this.